1st time moms that have thyroid issues?

iVillage Member
1st time moms that have thyroid issues?
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 12:03pm
Just curious if there are any other first time mommies out there that have a thyroid problem. I have Graves. I was just looking to see if there was anyone else out there and how you might be feeling??
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 11:40pm

Welcome, and congratulations on your pregnancy! What is your EDD?

I cannot offer any advice, but I hope you will stick around and join in on the board conversation!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 7:13pm

Hi. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months before I got PG. My levels were only slightly elevated, but I do think it played a big role in why it took us some time to conceive (11 CYs). I am on a low dose of Synthroid, which the doc said we might have to adjust throughout my PG. I'm only 6 wk/1 day, so far I feel fine. A little more tired than usual. The doc said that medically managed thyroid issues do not present a risk for babies.

Good luck to you!

Mary
BabyFruit Ticker

Photobucket

Mary

Due 3/8/11!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:24pm

Mary,

Welcome to the club, and thank you for sharing your experience so far with thyroid issues and pregnancy.

My LO was a March '09 baby, so from one March mama to another, congratulations!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 2:16pm

I have hypothyroidism as well. I've had it since I was 9 years old (Hashimoto's) so I consider myself an expert by now. :)

My levels didn't change until I was about 10 weeks pregnant. I do recommend going to an endocrinologist if you aren't already, to get monitored. I believe the norm is to get tested every 2 months unless you need to make a change then you'd go 6 weeks after the change. I just had a blood test Tuesday and haven't heard my results yet but I feel good so I'm not worried.

While properly managed thyroid issues won't harm the baby it is difficult to tell if symptoms are from the underactive thyroid or the pregnancy (weight gain, constipation, lethargy). I just "knew" mine was off (and I was right) so I went to get tested, even if you aren't sure call the doc for a simple blood test so that you feel better about everything.

Good luck!

pregnancy

pregnancy

HEEELLLOOOO!!!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 8:53pm

Thanks! My thyroid levels were last checked 6/8 (right before we conceived), and when I had my first round of prenatal b/w 7/16, they checked it again. Haven't gotten the results yet. My OB said he would check the levels regularly. He's the one who found my hypothyroidism in the first place b/c it was taking us a little longer than we wanted to get pregnant.

I'll make sure we keep an eye on it! Thanks again!

Mary
BabyFruit Ticker

Photobucket

Mary

Due 3/8/11!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:17pm

Great! I'm glad that you're so on top of it. I had no idea that my hypothyroidism would change so much while pregnant. My primary care doctor was clueless too, in fact he was looking it up online while meeting with me. Definitely made me get on the ball about find an endocrinologist here (we just moved a year ago).

If you have any questions or concerns about hypo just let me know. I've been through just about everything from bad generic med reactions to fighting with doctors trying to change my prescription even thought I felt good. :)

Good luck!

pregnancy

pregnancy

HEEELLLOOOO!!!!