Made duvet cover,drapes,pillow cases ,,,

iVillage Member
Made duvet cover,drapes,pillow cases ,,,
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 7:39pm
for less than $50 Canadian and this includes the hardware for drapes for 3 windows, one really big one too. (we also pay 15% taxes in Ontario). I am even more thrilled that I also figured out how to put a zipper in my duvet cover since I have never done one before. This zipper was 60 inches long too so it was very intimidating! I spent alot of time on the internet and at the library to get some good info. and then I spent hours doing it, but the satisfaction of getting it done right made it all worthwhile.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 3:09am
You are my hero!! I am simply no good at sewing/crafts and I can imagine how hard you must have worked. I also wanted a duvet cover for our comforter - I waited for a sale and finally got one for %20 at Bed,Bath&Beyond.

Enjoy all the new wrappings!

CH

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:15am
How hard was it to make drapes? When I've done it, they scream "HOMEMADE".
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:59am
Mine were really easy drapes since all I wanted was a small, country style valance. One of the windows was pretty big (60 inches wide) so it took most of the material. Instead of lining the drape I doubled the material instead. These are really simple little valances but they sure are an improvement on my empty windows. They just finish off the room nicely after my dh installed beadboard and chair rail all around the room. I don't know how much it would have cost to make full long drapes. I probably wouldn't have even bothered making them and just bought tab curtains instead.What kind of drapes have you made before?
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:27am
I tried tab curtains but I think I went too cheap on the material. It didn't have the weight to hang nicely. My friend made tab curtains and put a contrasting but complementing fabric on the reverse side. It looked really nice.

Fabric isn't cheap, is it! The stuff I like always ends up costing too much by the time I get the required yardage. I remember when sewing meant saving money -- sound like an old fogey, don't I?!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 12:45pm
I've made tab curtains before using sheets that match my bedding. They are 6 years old and still look nice. I don't sew a lot but they were pretty easy to make.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:40pm
That's what I used too. My duvet cover was a patterned sheet on one side that is the same as the drapes and the other side of the duvet cover is just a solid colour sheet. Sheets are so easy to work with and wash too and no a huge investment that you feel like to have to keep them up for 20 years!