SCORE! Organic free range chicken

iVillage Member
SCORE! Organic free range chicken
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 5:57pm

After I dropped my dd off at her voice lessons this afternoon, I ran over to the local area supermarket to pick up some protein for dinner, since I forgot to defrost (bad me, I know). This is not somewhere that I normally shop, so it is sort of a little adventure for me to go there, lol!

Anyway, they had packages of organic free range chicken parts (drumsticks and thighs, mostly) on manager special, and each package was $2.00 off! That made this otherwise $$ chicken pretty much on par with the price of regular chicken. I bought 4 packages (should have bought all they had, kicking myself now!)...and I have some drums and thighs roasting in the oven right now with carrots, onions and fresh rosemary.

The rest of the packages went into the freezer for a later date!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 7:19pm

heh! I almost ran to the store because I didn't defrost today too, but instead found a bunch of mushrooms that needed to be prepared.

I always love finding manager specials. Sadly, my cousin no longer works for our fav grocery store, so I no longer get the heads up on those deals.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 9:49am
That is awesome! A few weeks ago a local store advertised boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.49 a pound. That was great, but when I got there it was the Tyson, 100% natural, antibiotic and hormone free chicken that was on sale. I bough 30 pounds. I love a good deal.

Jennifer

Mom to 4 in Ohio

Getting Ahead Blog

Jennifer

Mom to 4 in Ohio

Getting Ahead Blog

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 1:58pm

Ooo, that is a great deal too. I can't blame you on buying 30lbs if you have the freezer space.

I'm heading to the Farmer's Market tomorrow and I am hoping to get a great deal on lamb and venison.