Paying for Plastic shopping bags?

iVillage Member
Paying for Plastic shopping bags?
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 10:28pm

One local Grocery store chain will begin charging 5 cents each for plastic shopping bags on April 22nd, Earth day. Is this a good thing? would it encourage you to bring your own bags or would you shop elsewhere? Do you already use your own bags? in your opinion Will this reduce waste?
Do grocery stores or other stores do this in your region?

Liesl

March

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 10:36pm

I bring my own bags.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 11:21am

I use my own bags. I bought 4 reusable bags (.99 each) and keep them in the car to shop with. Whole Foods (my main grocery shopping store) credits you 10 cents per bag you bring in to reuse. They also bag with paper bags-sturdy ones with handles. I keep a few of those in my car also for big shopping loads. I use the same bags for Target or at the mall or anywhere where I would get more plastic bags. They provide small brown paper bags for produce bagging rather than plastic also.

I always thought plastic bags were fine because many of them were recyclable. Then I found out how expensive it is for them to recycle the bags and I decided to just not use them anymore.

I think the idea of charging 5 cents on Earth Day is not a bad one. it got you thinking about the issue-which was the idea. They are raising awareness and hopefully the money raised will go to a worthy environmental cause. Heather

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 12:19pm

On one hand, I'm not a huge fan of suddenly charging for something like this. If they had a promotion going when this starts to encourage you to buy reusable bags, that wouldn't be so bad.

OTOH, I know that when I remember my bags, I LOVE using them so much more than plastic! They don't LOOK that much bigger, but they fit so much more and because the handles are sturdy, I can carry more up the 3 flights of stairs each trip.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 12:54pm

I use those bags for so much more than just hauling groceries home! If I can't get them free, then I'll have to just BUY Glad or whatever brand it is. We have trash. Period. I can REUSE the grocery bags, or just go buy NEW bags.

Currently, I REUSE grocery bags, which seems more sound-of-mind than going and buying NEW bags and using them only ONCE for trash.

I also use those bags for other things--dumping vacuum cleaner bags into to control the dust and dirt.

Another fav use is to use in place of Rachael Ray's "garbage bowl." I have garbage bag for veggie peelings, trimmings, etc. They make a dirty-tasting stock, so I don't use them for that. Where we live composting is impossible due to the wildlife, including bears. NO THANK YOU. No garbage disposal due to being on septic. Gotta just put food trimmings in the garbage, but I don't let them just "loose" in the garbage to stink it up. I put them in a grocery plastic bag.

I use the grocery bags in all the bathroom wastebaskets, instead of buying NEW AND UNUSED wastebasket-size plastic bags.

We use them on our feet for muddy spots and work.

Etc.

Hauling groceries is just the tip of the iceberg for uses of those plastic bags around our home. Those cloth reusable grocery bags can't be used for any of the other purposes we use the plastic

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 2:16pm

The store I shop at has always charged for bags, or at least as long as I can remember.

I do re-use them, usually for green bin garbage. But starting next month, we have to use biodegradable bags in the green bins so I won't be using them there. My New Year's resolution was to use my own bags, I have about 8 in the back of the car and use them instead of plastic.

When I'm actually running low on plastic shopping bags (because they do have other uses), I'll get the store bags with my groceries for a week or two.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 2:30pm

indexlady- if everyone reused the plastic bags like you do, I don't think there would be a problem.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 3:19pm

Thanks everyone. It's fun to hear how you think and what happens in your neighbourhood.
I am really surprised and thrilled how many of us already use the cloth bags.I also believe that if they are going to charge 5 cents a plastic bag they should credit 5 cents for cloths bags used. This chain is making it plastic bags more durable, to encourage them being reused, this is a good thing too.
All this leads me to me next question; Does being frugal make us more green naturally? I think it does.

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 4:14pm

My local

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 6:50pm
LOL! I kept cleaning out the car, then all of my shopping bags were in the garage, full of the junk DS accumulates in the car!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 8:10pm

I think the stores had better be careful about pricing their plastic carryout bags.

I checked today at the store to see how much NEW AND UNUSED wastebasket-sized garbage bags

Pages