Always get a 2nd opinion!

iVillage Member
Always get a 2nd opinion!
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 4:53pm

We have a 95 Chevy Corsica that needed a vehicle inspection to renew the license. Dh knew it would need 2 new tires to pass so he took care of that last week. The place also does the safety inspection we needed. So he had them do that as well. So they find 2 other things that need to be done before the car will pass--broken lens on a turn signal and something with the power steering. To the tune of $1013.89 in repairs. WTH???? (We only paid about $3k for the car to start with about 3 years ago!) We've had no problem w/the power steering at all; that was the bulk of the repairs needed. Or so THEY said!!

So dh buys the lens cover and plans to repair that part himself

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 6:03pm

Wow, that is a big difference! So glad you got a 2nd opinion.

In december we had to have a heater core replaced, and Merchants/Tire Kingdom gave us a $1000 estimate, the local dealership gave us a $750 estimate and a small business gave us a $550 estimate-so big difference also. It really does pay to get a 2nd opinion.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 9:44pm
wow, that is good to know! I know I just called them last week to look at replacing a couple tires on DH's care and if I recall correctly, they were the most $$ on my list.

Photobucket
~Liz
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 10:30pm

NTB was actually the cheapest for the type of tires we needed. Dh checked several places, including Walmart. Go figure?!???

It's always been my experience that any type of national chain auto place that *specializes* in one area--tires & batteries in this case--usually are much higher priced when it comes to other services. Dobbs is the same way. Same for Jiffy Lube and those type of quick oil change places.

Imho, the best bet for general repairs is some small, independent local shop that is recommended by friends. We tend to stick to the same one or 2 places because we've found we can trust them since we've built a relationship w/the mechanics/owners.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-22-2009 - 2:23am

That is such good advice!!!

Fortunately, I have been pretty happy with my local Big-O-Tires.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-22-2009 - 9:55am

Whenever I hear the name NTB it makes me giggle.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 4:38am

"Silly DH put off having the alignment done because the thought it would be *really expensive*, so didn't mention it to me."

Oh, I hate it when something like that happens!

Carrie

Carrie