Electric bill flop

iVillage Member
Electric bill flop
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 4:44pm
I am so disgusted with AEP. We are on the monthly billing plan and June is our catchup month. Our bill is $455! And we used less electricity, thanks to line drying clothes, shutting things off, replacing light bulbs, etc etc. Guess they are phasing in their 43% rate increase....grrrrr
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 5:28pm

This is the exact reason we got off budget. We got hit several years ago with a $500 catchup bill.

So, you'd THINK that the next year's budget would be greater. It was an average of $160 per month all through the year. That's an actual $340 catchup bill... which divided by 12 months would be about $28 or $29 MORE dollars each month.

So, I checked about the increase in the budget. Nope. They said it was actually going to be the same the following year. Now, HOW can that be??? So, I figured there were idiots running the budgeted program, and no telling what other screwups had been introduced by stupid, low-bidding computer programmers--probably Bubba's brother.

We've paid actual bill ever since.

Conversely, I could have just gone ahead and paid an extra $28 or so each month, gradually building up a reserve. But, it irked me to no end.

That catchup cost us well into the thousands. We didn't know about it until too late, causing hundreds of checks to bounce. And, NO, the electric company

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 11:21am

I too pay my utilities using the budget plan.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 10:34am
We're on the budget plan also. Well I always fear getting a big heating bill in winter I can't pay for.