Annual vet appointment

iVillage Member
Annual vet appointment
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 12:10pm

I took my dog for his yearly check up yesterday -OUCH! I debated about just getting his shots at PETCO because it is much cheaper, but since he has had major ACL surgery in the past, I decided to stick with our regular vet in hopes of a thorough check up. That didn't happen. My dog is a Boxer and he is really protective over my kids who happened to be with me at the appt. When the vet came into the room he snapped at her! I ended up taking the kids out of the room, and she took Charlie outside and gave him his shots where he was completely fine! I hardly got to even talk to the vet because of the commotion. When she brought him back into the waiting room, she went in the back and they handed me my bill! I always get Heartguard and flea prevention, so I know it is pricey. I only bought six months of each instead of the 12 month pack. My grand total: $358.00!!!!! I was SHOCKED!!! That included all shots except rabies. I am disappointed in my appointment overall, and I am just going to use PETCO from now on. I also inquired about PET MEDS RX online and of course they frown upon it because they said you don't know what you are getting when you buy on the internet (I'm sure it's the same as what they sell, they just want the mark up). They have to fax a script for you to be able to buy them online and I didn't want to rock the boat. Ughhh! I feel like I got ripped off!

Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 12:37pm

OUCH!!!! And I thought my old vet was bad (for that kind of visit it was around $250 last time I was there).

signature 
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 12:53pm

Wow! I just took both of my dogs in for their annual check ups plus shots yesterday and it was only $153 for both! This included fecal and heartworm tests! You should get a detailed invoice, I can't imagine what would be that expensive.

Heather

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 2:07pm

Ouch! That does seem high, especially since it doesn't sound like you even had blood work done?

My old cat seems to be at the vet often (chronic health problems) and she takes 2 RXs. The vet mark up is ridiculous. We get one of our cat's RXs at Walmart and another from a local pharmacy. It is a pain to ask for prescriptions because the vet tends to push towards buying from them, but the savings are worth any discomfort of nicely pressing for an outside RX. One of her RXs the vet sells for $28, and we get it for $3 at the local pharmacy (1 month supply). In general I like our vet, but they are committing RX highway robbery IMO. They don't seem to consider that $18/month for 2 outside prescriptions versus the $58 they charge, is what keeps the cat affordable enough to keep "healthy" and coming back to them for future appointments.

I use to order all her RX supplies from a place called valley vet- they are online under that name. They have good prices and are very, very helpful with any questions you might call with. Unfortunately they are no longer shipping RXs to CA, so we had to find other sources, but I do recommend them highly, if you do decide to eventually push for an outside RX and are looking for vendors to compare.

Sorry to gripe a little, this is a point of contention for me.

Vickie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 3:01pm

Did you just call around to "people" pharmacies when you started buying them from a pharmacy vs. the vet? Just curious as one of our dogs has had to start daily meds for a thyroid condition. The vet's price is only $13/mo.; the dog takes it 2x/day so that's for 60 pills. I don't think that price is too bad, but it never

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 6:07pm

I did call around, but found a lot of pharmacies to be very rude in the process. Many hung up on me, would not return calls, accused me of price-spying for other stores. Apparently comparison shopping isn't something most people do for prescriptions, so they take a dim view of it? Both Walmart and the local pharmacy I deal with were very nice on the phone, which is how I ended up dealing with them after the internet ordering stopped panning out.

I found a few online pharmacies with prices listed online. That's a good way to get a baseline price too.

The original vet we saw (who left the practice to have a family) was very open about offering up an outside RX. She was the first one to suggest that the meds could be had from a people pharmacy for much less. Laws vary from state to state about whether a vet is required to write outside RXs.

One of my cat's conditions is hyperthyroid. If that's what your dog's got, it sounds like you are already getting a decent deal. We pay $40 for 100 pills, which is a good price for her med and dosage. When we first started that one she was getting just a few pills a month and the price was .80c/pill; so as the quantity goes up the price goes down. It would be nice to think there is a vet out there ordering in large quantity and passing the savings on to patients.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 9:01pm
I know what you mean about the vet and huge mark ups!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 11:52pm

WOW!!!!

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 5:32am
If you have Petco's in your area then more than likely luvmypet goes there.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 10:02am

There are no other vets you can go to?

I called around and askedeach vet how much it was was for a certain check up IE 6 week ppt and so on when my dog was a puppy... then I went with the cheapest.

I think it is time to rock that boat andask for the RX to be faxed and move on. ts your money and I dont think being afraid to step on toes apply at the moment.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 10:20am

Thanks for the info!

What med is your cat on? Our dog also has the hyperthroid thing. He's on L-Thyroxine, 2 pills/day.

I did check that Valley Vet place you mentioned. Way cheaper than my $13/mo. but I'd have to buy 1000 pills which would be a 16 mo. supply if he stays on his current dosage. 1000 pills for $52.95--comes to $3.31/mo. Not sure though if I'd want that many at one time. What if they expire? What if his dosage changes?

I will be calling around to some local pharmacies when it's time to refill the prescription. We've been using this vet for years; I don't think he'd give me much hassle about getting a prescription. He knows my family and how we love our dogs and will do almost anything for them. Same vet my parents used for our dogs when I was growing up! He already knows I get my heartworm and Frontline somewhere else and never says much about that! Too bad anyway. W/dh being out of work for +9 mo. now, we'll find the cheapest way to take care of the dogs!

Kelly

Pages