Unfrugal people - again

iVillage Member
Unfrugal people - again
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 4:43pm

Maybe I just notice it more now that we're struggling so hard, but it really bugs me when I see people waste stuff...

The other week when I was visiting my sister, she threw out an unopend container of sour cream, because it was 2 weeks past the sell-by-date.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 6:37pm

Back in the 90s I

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 12:48am

Oh, that is sooo crazy...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 9:20am

"We were visiting DH's family for an informal family reunion. I was helping his youngest neice (about 19) get all the stuff out for strawberry shortcake, and one of the tubs of whip-creme got knocked over, and landed on the floor. (The tub fell up-side down, without the lid.) So she used the lid to slide most of the whip-cream back in the container, and proceded to toss it in the garbage! Now, my MIL's floor isn't the cleanest, but I was able to scoop off the top layer, and salvage almost 3/4's of it."

That is not frugal, that is DISGUSTING. A tub of Cool Whip costs $1 on sale. As if scooping it off a dirty kitchen floor back into the container wasn't enough, you then took it out of the garbage, scooped off the top layer and then I am assuming served it to unsuspecting family members.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 9:26am
I buy the majority of my meat when it is on manager's special.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 11:32am

My husband is very unfrugal. Why? He grew up poor. Now that he has money - he figures he can just go out and buy stuff. We bought a house and replaced all the light fixtures with ceiling fans so we have extra light fixtures. He tells me to throw away the light fixtures. Instead I will put them on free cycle. Maybe someone can use them. I am trying to teach him the value of a dollar and the value of recycling/reusing.

I know a lot of new moms who are broke but won't breastfeed b/c its icky. Hello, breast milk is the best source of nutrition for an infant - its frugal and green.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 11:47am
Hmm, I'm pretty frugal but I would not eat cool whip off the floor.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 12:51pm

I was trying to figure out to say what you said in polite terms, but I totally agree. That isn't frugal. I am the most frugal person and I would NOT do that. Cool whip is NOT a necessity; it isn't milk or cheese or healthy food.

The sour cream? I wouldn't do that, either. First off, it was in the trash. Second, they have a sell-by date for a reason. Around here sour cream can be free/almost free with loss leaders combined with coupons.

I understand that things are tough for you guys right now, but I think that is sort of crossing the line...I could see if your family is starving and you are digging stuff out of the trash to feed them but really..sour cream and cool whip are not necessities!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 4:30pm

Don't worry, I'm not in any danger of going dumpster diving anytime soon - hehehe.

As far as the sour-cream goes, I watched my sister throw it away in front of me, so it's not like "I dug it out of the trash".

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 6:09pm

Actually, what bends me around the axle is people who are "penny wise and pound foolish".

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-26-2009 - 3:26am

I just say - to each his own. What I may find gross, others may not and what they find gross, may not bother me at all. When I see people wasting things that I would not, I just feel lucky that I am not so wasteful and

Pages