total FLOP: a/c repair guy

iVillage Member
total FLOP: a/c repair guy
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 7:37pm
I am so upset and there is nothing I can do about it. We have noticed over the last couple of days that the a/c has been running a LOT, and the thermostat always seems to read a couple of degrees higher than what we have it set at (it's a digital). So I called our regular place that we have had work done with for several years and they had someone come out yesterday. First, it was someone different than we normally have, but we haven't had anythign done the last year or so. Second, he goes to tell me that we need to have the outside unit cleaned, so I authorized him to do that..and then after all that he says he can't find anything wrong with it but that it is probably the thermostat. He used some sort of temperature gun where the therm. was and it said it was 70.8* at that point, but the reading was something like 78*. So, he said if my DH could do it it would be cheaper to just pick up a new thermostat for $50 and do it ourselves. So that is what we did...and we are still having the same dang problem!!!!! And to top it off, we are SO broke that it isn't even funny..I am currently looking for a part-time job, and now I have no money to fix whatever is actually wrong and I can't afford to ahve anyone else come and look at it now =\

Photobucket
~Liz
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 9:04pm
That sucks and I feel for you.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 12:02pm

That happened to us too. We went through 3 different companie suntil someone fixed it right. We found out that our coil needed replaced and now it works alot better. Unfortuantely the repair was 975 dollars but I found on their website that they had a coupon for 10 dollars off so I got it for 965.

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 3:49pm

Call them and complain.

You probably spent $100 on it already and its not fixed.

They shoudl send someone else out at no charge to check it out.