Camp is a flop!

iVillage Member
Camp is a flop!
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 10:51am
Not the cost (it was generously paid for by someone else) but the fact that he's losing stuff left and right. He's lost towels, rash guards and sunglasses. Now, I know it's the kids responsibilities, but he's also 5, so I expect some help from the counselors. DH went in today with a list of stuff that he's lost and asked the counselor to look for it.

Hugs, Jean

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Hugs, Jean

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 11:11am
5 yrs old is a bit young to remember where their things are.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 11:55am

Make sure you label everything. I use a fine-tip Sharpie and write our name on all the kids' belongings - clothes, shoes, bathing suits, sunscreen, lunchboxes, sunglasses, etc. I keep one in my purse in case there's something I missed when i drop them off. (I'm quite obsessive about this always, and even have a white fabric marker to label dark items.) That way, it's easier for the counselors and director to return your items when they get lost.

It is hard for them to keep track of everything, and even if they do know it's missing, they might not know where to look for it. At the end of every week at our camp they bring all the left-behind stuff to carpool pickup and people can sort through. Maybe there is something similar at yours?

Beckie

mom of 5 cuties

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 12:20pm
We also label everything.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 2:47pm

Not only do we label every single thing (even socks!) we also do a daily inventory to see what might be missing, and either find it right then (if we're picking up) or first thing the next morning.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 4:02pm

Everything is labeled, I hear you on that one :)

Today we were able to find one rash guard and one towel. THe sunglasses were old and falling apart so I didn't much care about them.

I was able to replace the other rash guard for $4 so I guess that's ok. Just one towel missing.

Thanks ladies :)

Hugs, Jean

Hugs, Jean

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-21-2009 - 9:43pm

I just wanted to say thanks for posting about this.