I am vexed by a book!!

iVillage Member
I am vexed by a book!!
Fri, 07-17-2009 - 11:08am

I read Vince Flynn's books and have them in hardcover as I enjoy re-reading them from time to time. Last Xmas, I received his latest book, Extreme Measures as a gift. I didn't have the book prior to that one, Protect and Defend, so I haven't read the new one yet. I've checked at the used bookstore a couple of times and they never had it.

A couple of weeks ago I was ordering our dtv converters and decided to treat myself to the missing book. Amazon had it for $18 new. A couple of days later I receive my email that the order has shipped and cannot be changed. The next day I'm killing time in the used bookstore while I'm getting an oil change and they have 4 copies of Protect and Defend for $8.50. I was so annoyed! I didn't buy one because I had one on the way and didn't need two.

My amazon order arrives and I notice they had instructions on the packing slip for returning items. I logged on, did the steps, repacked the book, and sent it back to Amazon for $3 shipping. I just got the email stating that my refund had been processed, so yesterday while out and about I went to the used bookstore. All the copies of Protect and Defend were gone. AGH!!!!!!!! I did manage to find one at the front of the store in the current fiction section, but it was $13.50. Never mind that it's not his newest book (and therefore in my mind not current fiction.)

So, I guess I'll re-read the series, and when I get to Protect and Defend, I'll get it from the library if I haven't found it at the bookstore and a decent price.

On the bright side, I found a bunch of kids books for $.98 each at the used bookstore - softcover ones like Sesame Street, Clifford, and Thomas the Tank Engine. My youngest is starting to potty train and these will make great prizes for using the potty. We also stopped by Goodwill (in search of the Vince Flynn book). They have Toddler Thursday where all kids clothes and toys are 50% off. I snagged a pair of jeans for my oldest son for $2 (reg $3.99) and rummaged through a couple tables of books that were on clearance for $.15 each. I found some for the kids, and a couple of hardcovers for me. I'll likely read them then donate to my library's book sale coming up in Sept. So that's a Victory!!

Kris

Edited 7/19/2009 9:40 pm ET by babyj2007
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-17-2009 - 2:10pm
Oh, no!