Produce co-op

iVillage Member
Produce co-op
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 9:47pm

A friend of mine started a produce co-op in her town, about 40 min. from here. One of the ladies didn't get the money to her but the order had been placed; she asked me if I'd like to buy it this time. We met about 15 min. from my house so I didn't have to drive out to her house; she was coming in to shop anyway. For $24 I got all of this....

12 granny smith apples

13 bananas

2 BIG bags of cherries--Turned out to be about 5 lb.! At the store this week, they're on sale for $2.99/lb., so I got about $15 worth of just cherries!

1 bag of red grapes--About 2 lbs. "Sale priced" this week for $1.99/lb. at the store

1 watermelon

4 peaches

2 bunches of red leaf lettuce

5 ears of corn

1 head of cauliflower

1 big bunch of broccoli

7 BIG baking potatoes

8 oz. container of mushrooms

2 nice-sized zucchini

I'll be sharing some of this w/my mom and also w/a single older neighbor-lady. They'll be getting the mushrooms (I HATE those, lol!), some of the cherries, some of the lettuce (I'm the only one in the family who will most likely eat it and I can't eat that much!), a few bananas (I just bought some a few days ago and we won't be able to eat them all before they start getting mushy) and some of the watermelon.

This produce co-op thing was featured on one of the local tv channels. The orginal lady lives about 15 min. from me. They order every 2 weeks. I may start ordering from her or keep ordering through my friend since she's willing to meet me like she did today.

(Liz--are you out there??? Did you order this time? Did you get the same stuff? Just curious!)

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 10:33pm
Dang that's a sweet deal.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 11:09pm

I'm here! I have ordered 2 times now and been happy with the results. Our schedule seems to be different than yours, although we do order every 2 weeks. I'll be getting my next shipment next Tuesday. Oh, and mine was different last week but I would love to get what you get this next time. I wonder how that works..whether each co-op chooses it's own stuff or not. Last time I got:

2 heads of lettuce
4 bunches of broccoli
7/8 ears of corn
green onions
1 bag of cherries
5 plums
1 large bunch of bananas
2 cucumbers
6 green peppers
5 lbs of potatoes
1 watermelon
1 honeydew
1 lb strawberries
1 pint blueberries
8 oz mushrooms

Photobucket
~Liz
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-24-2009 - 7:58am

I'm not sure how the schedule goes. I do know that the orders, at least over here, go through the main lady who was on Ch. 5. My friend in Troy, MO had to call her w/the number of orders. She had no idea what was coming until the truck got to her house.

I'll trade you something for your strawberries and blueberries, lol!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-24-2009 - 11:21am

That is awesome!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-27-2009 - 12:19pm

x-posting ;op

I paid $23 and this is what we are supposed to be getting in our delivery tomorrow.

Granny Smith Apples
Red Delicious Apples
Bananas
Blueberries
Columbine Red Grapes
Lemons
Watermelon
Green Beans
Jumbo Homegrown Tomatoes
Cilantro
California Large and Juicy Peaches
Red Onion