Our oven died...

iVillage Member
Our oven died...
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 11:01pm

I'm so mad I could spit nails. In November of 2007 we bought a Frigidare electric stove from ABC Warehouse. It was a lower level stove and only cost us around $400. We needed something NOW and we didn't have a lot of money to spend. It, at the time, one of the few they had in stock in black. So, we bought it.

From the get go, it took FOREVER for the oven to heat up. I went into ABC Warehouse to tell them and was told "You'll have to call Frigidare". All they told me was "Some take longer than others to heat up". Well.. guess what? We thought we'd bought the extended warranty and didn't. Here we are 18 months later and the oven is DEAD. Will not heat up at all. We suspect it's the electronics in the top of the stove because the clock acts goofy too.

Went into ABC Warehouse to see what we could do. Was basically told "Sorry we can't help you if it's out of warranty" (I should note.. I don't want a new stove, just information on how to go about fixing this one!). Then the manager said to me "Are you sure you're using it correctly?"

OMG. I was livid. In not one of my finer moments, I called him some choice names and walked out - without ever getting any information on how to go about getting it repaired. He was too busy being condescending and rude.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:02am

Steam would be coming out of my ears, too.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 12:34pm

I would be mad too

maybe find something on clearance instead or look on craigslist and see what there might be cheaper

Becky

Becky
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:48pm

I got a Fridgidare stove.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 11:04pm

Sorry to hear about your oven.

When we moved into our house 8 years ago, we got the previous homeowner's to pay for a 1 year warranty. Luckily we did since the oven started having issues a couple of months after we moved in. The oven wouldn't heat - it's a gas appliance. We shut the gas off to the oven and didn't use it until the repair guy came out.

The repair guy that the warranty folks sent out was a very nice older gentleman (had to be 65 if he was a day). He had his own little appliance repair shop. He told me that in the newer appliances - the ones with the digital controls like stoves and washers/dryers - that that component fails quite easily after 3-4 years and that it costs as much as new appliance to replace just that component. It's something I've kept in mind ever since. I haven't needed to purchase a new stove, washer or dryer, but I'm hoping that my existing non-digital component appliance last a while!

Kris

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 11:09am

That reminds me - the dryer repairman