Dog flop - had to buy a new couch!

iVillage Member
Dog flop - had to buy a new couch!
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 11:57pm

We have a 9 year old, perfectly behaved dog, and a 1 year old puppy with issues he'll hopefully outgrow eventually. We went on vacation, and I wanted to board the puppy, but DH insisted he'd be fine, so we left both dogs in the house (why did I listen to him?). A friend came every day to feed/water/play with them. (We have a doggie door so they can go in/out).

Anyway, over the 10 days we were gone, puppy was showing more and more signs of getting anxious. Dogsitter started finding things shredded/chewed in the house. A couple of days before we came home, the dog shredded our couch. Beyond repair.

We bought a new on this weekend (the set was on its last legs, but we were waiting to replace it). We did OK on money, but I really wish we didnt have to spend the money right now. DH and I have been furloughed (10%) for the year, starting with our next paycheck, so I am totally stressed about money without any extra expenses.

BTW I probably would have gone used for a solid wood piece, like a dresser. But used upholstery gives me the heebie-jeebies (my own personal thing, I know)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 1:07am

Oh nooo!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 1:32am

The housesitter did notice - he called us as soon as he saw and moved the couch into a bedroom and closed the door to prevent more damage. But, it was already done. He didnt stay in the house overnight so the pup had lots of unsupervised time :(

I hear you on the pets. The puppy was DH's idea after our beagle died. I was just fine with the one dog we had. We also have a cat (who is very low-maintenance, and surprisingly good with the kids), 5 birds (including one very loud, annoying parrot) and 3 (yes, 3) fish tanks. TOO MUCH! The parrot is the worst of the lot, and since they live to be about 90...

Photobucket