Microsoft Office deal

iVillage Member
Microsoft Office deal
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 2:21pm

Our computer is almost 6 years old. When we bought it, we just got it with Word Perfect (that was the free software) because we did very little word processing and other office type stuff at home, and it seemed silly to pay $100+ for MS Office.

About 2 years ago I got a printer for xmas, but I couldn't print anything from Word Perfect to it, so a co-worker suggested getting software from openoffice.org, which is freeware that will open MS Office documents. It works so much like MS Office, and it works great.

Well, I'll likely start taking minutes for this coalition group's meetings and doing some organizing of their actions and stuff, so I was going to need to have MS Office to be compatible with what the coalition members use at their offices. The best I could come up with was at Sam's club for about $125.

Turns out through DH's work (he works with some of the coalition members and group leaders) that his employer offers MS Office through Microsoft's Home Use Program. As long as my DH remains employed at this organization, we have the right to use the same version of MS Office as they do. I'm downloading it now and it cost me $9.95 plus tax ($10.61 total). How sweet is that! Yay!! I'm excited to work on getting it all set up how I like it this weekend and converting documents over from Open Office to MS Office.

FWIW, I thought the Open Office software was good, and wouldn't switch other than for this job thing. It's from Sun Systems (I think) who are reputible in the computer world, and best of all, it was free. It's a great option for those that don't need to have others opening and editing their docs.

Kris

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 2:47pm

Great deal and a nice perk!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 2:51pm
I love open office too, I discovered it when my daughter was in the musical Annie, the director did a huge presentation with all the practice dates and costume guidelines on power point and then emailed us all a copy. I dont have power point and couldnt open it, a friend suggested open office and I was again to get it for free and then open the power point program. It was a huge lifesaver. I have also used it to convert documents from the older version of Word that the school uses to the newer one at home and vice-versa for dd's school papers.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 5:14pm
My lap top came with Office 2007 pre installed.