Grocery store victory

iVillage Member
Grocery store victory
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 1:46pm

A couple of weeks ago, the local grocery store had select General Mills cereals for $2 a box and select General Mills granola bars for $2.50 a box. If you bought $20 worth, you got a coupon at the register for $5 off your next purchase.

I used man. coupons as well and bought 5 boxes of granola bars and 5 cereal. I got my $5 printed at the register, but I also got a $3.50 off my next purchase because I bought 5 boxes of granola bars. Sweet!

So later in the week I go back and buy another round - this time 4 boxes of cereal and 5 granola bars. I used man. coupons plus the $5 off and the $3.50 off, then got another of each.

When it was all said and done, I figured out that I bought 9 boxes of cereal and 10 boxes of granola bars for $19.10 - about $1 a box, which I think is pretty darn good.

It gets better.

This morning DH opened the Cocoa Puffs I bought for him (a rare treat) and the box says that 1 in 10 boxes has a gift card inside. We got a $5 gift Discover gift card in the box! Yay!! It's good through next May, but can't be used online. The goofy thing is that the total you are paying has to be $5 exactly. So if my total is $9.89, I have to pay $4.89 by some other method and then use the card to pay the final $5. Annoying, but not enough to make me not want to use it.

Kris

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 6:57am
That's a pretty good deal.