My Unfrugal turns funny fugal

iVillage Member
My Unfrugal turns funny fugal
Sun, 12-27-2009 - 9:22am
Christmas Eve dh got a Wii game from his parents, they went to play it and the Wii kept saying couldnt read disc. They tried everything, looked it up online and discovered that if it says that than the lazer was burnt out. Everyone was upset so I said we could buy a new one after Christmas since I knew the girls were getting several new games as gifts. So the day after Christmas we ran to the store and bought a new wii, not really what I wanted to spend my money on but oh well. Got the new one home and dh hooked it up, guess what, its said disc cannot be read too. Hmm that sounds fishy to me. Dh just says that one was broke too. I disagreed and decided to call nintendo. While looking for the number online I stumbled across a FAQ list and one of the topics was "disc cannot be read" so I clicked it, the first thing it said was make sure the wii is not upside down. So I ask dh is the wii upside down, he of course says no. I said so all three buttons are UNDER the disc slot, he says Under? hmm ours are above the slot. I told turn the darn thing over. Guess what it works, so does the old one! He had them both upside down and since I have never played with it I had no idea. So I took the new Wii back to walmart and the only thing I was out was my time and a little gas!
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-30-2009 - 11:47am

we are the only family in NJ that does not have a Wii.

Most families I know that have a Wii don't even use it anymore. Just like anything else, the kids get tired of it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 1:55pm

We've had our Wii for almost 2 years. We love it and my kids play with it several times a week. It was one of the best purchases we've ever made - it's entertainment for the entire family.

Glad you figured out the problem, OP!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 4:11pm

I got a Wii this year, and it's mine, not the kids. My honey got me the Wii Fit Plus, and those games are so much fun, I can't imagine not playing with it! In fact, I'm building time just for me to play on the thing while the kids are still sleeping in the morning. Kung Fu, tightrope walking, math butt bumping, obstacle course, bike riding, in my own house, while laughing at myself the entire time! For the $200 we spent on what we got, we've already gotten our money's worth out of it, more than if we had bought a gym membership for 1. And if this gets boring and we stop using it, we'll sell it. Can't do that with a gym membership!

With my kids though, we've had a nintendo 64 for a couple of years and my kids still play it. My youngest is 6 and has amazing hand/eye coordination because of his play time. He got to spend some non-competitive time while the others were at school and I was studying, so he's gotten really good.

Maybe you should consider borrowing one of those unused systems from a friend. That will increase interest in the non-Wii house and give your family a ton of fun playing time. When your family stops playing it, give it back! Nothing makes a toy more interesting than not having it! LOL

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-02-2010 - 7:24am

I've got a number of friends who love the Wii Fit and I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-02-2010 - 1:12pm

the instructions say to clear the space around you. When I play (and I really play, I don't remotely consider it working out!) I have about a foot behind and on both sides of me and about 4 in front of me. I don't ever step off the balance board. I do need clear arm space to fly like a bird and land on huge pillars.... lol.

Any idea which activities you are thinking might need more space? I don't have any of the work out games like the biggest losers ones or anything. I just have the ones that came with the Wii Fit.