Frugal NYE celebration!

iVillage Member
Frugal NYE celebration!
Wed, 12-30-2009 - 7:58pm

We don't do anything fancy for NYE. It's usually just the four of us, and I make a bunch of appetizers and snacks for dinner, and we sit around playing board games or watching movies.

Since I am really trying to stick to this self-imposed shopping exile, I really didn't want to have to go out and buy food/drinks for tomorrow night. I knew we had mozzarella sticks and cooked shrimp already in the freezer, as well as tortilla chips - so I searched around today to see what else I could find (figuring I could always run out early tomorrow if need be). Well, in addition to the mozzarella sticks and shrimp cocktail that I am planning on making (w/simple cocktail sauce using ketchup and horseradish)...I also found half a bag of pizza rolls, a small box of pizza bagels, a half a bag of spicy wings, and a bag of vegetable dumplings! I have 3 avocados in the fridge, and so plan on making guacamole to go with the chips (and I have a fresh jar of salsa too!). I can also pop some popcorn if needed, but I think that should be more than enough for the 4 of us.

We have a few cans of soda leftover from Christmas, and 1 last case of seltzer, so we are set for "toasting" drinks! I'm skipping the champagne this year - dh and I are usually too tired to drink it anyway!

Plus, I also have hats and noisemakers that I reuse every year...and a bunch of plates and napkins from last year!

Great way to kick off the coming year in frugal style! :D

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-30-2009 - 9:18pm

Sounds like my kind of NYE celebration.....EXACTLY like it, lol! :-)

We'll also be staying home--watching movies, playing games, watching the ball drop & heading and going

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 9:41am

Sounds fun, and a good frugal way to start the year.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 9:52am
We're going by friends.