Sleep alarm

iVillage Member
Sleep alarm
Mon, 01-11-2010 - 10:23pm

My 10 year old has always had a problem with bedwetting. Until 2 months ago, he had literally had 2 dry nights in his entire life. He always wore PullUps, but they were itchy and very expensive. Doctors had told us he'd outgrow it, and one offered to give him meds to dry out his bladder, but DH and I really hate the idea of unneccesary meds. We tried limiting his liquids and waking him up at various times at night, but nothing worked.

So our current pediatrician suggested a sleep alarm. We tried it and it was almost miraculous. The alarm went off the first five or six nights, but then he started having consecutive dry nights. We offered a reward if he could make it 30 consecutive dry nights, and he did great! He's now made it over 6 weeks without any accidents at all.

I know that's not typical success, but I think since he was older and VERY motivated it helped. I'm so pleased with his progress. And we'll quickly recoup the cost of the alarm ($60) in the money we've saved on PullUps. Definitely a victory, frugal and otherwise!

Laura

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Laura

iVillage Member
In reply to: tex_az_mom
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 12:51am
Yeah! That's truly a terrific thing. Someone GAVE me a potty alarm. My son hated it, said it went off when he was completely dry. That seemed to give him incentive to stay dry. We have had some back sliding, but mostly, things are good. It seems to help him to be on a consistent schedule. Doens't seem to matter if we wake him
iVillage Member
In reply to: tex_az_mom
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 7:46am

That's awesome!