DS keeps getting holes in his sneakers!

iVillage Member
DS keeps getting holes in his sneakers!
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 10:37pm

My DS just turned 8. I cannot figure out how or why he keeps getting holes in his sneakers. Always on the same foot in the same spot (inside big toe area). He gradually wears through all layers of the sneaker right in that same spot. I just bought him new sneakers about 2-3 months ago, and he has already worn a hole through them. I have bought at least 3 pairs of sneakers all in the same size over the course of the past year because he wears a hole through them before he outgrows them. I cannot figure it out!!! It has become a rather expensive problem too, even though I refuse to buy him expensive name brand shoes precisely because of this issue. He swears he doesn't pick at it with his fingers, and based on how it wears, i don't think he does. I thought for a long time that he was maybe dragging his foot when he stopped his scooter or bike, but that theory is now out the window because it has been a long time since he's been outside playing like that (too cold!) and here he is with another hole in his shoe. Things that make you go hmmm...

My two girls have never worn a hole through anything in their lives!!!

Donna

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 7:28am

Hello, I'm just a lurker here, but have had the same problem with my 9 1/2 yr old ds. From Aug. 08 to Aug. 09 my son went through 8 pairs of shoes! He kept wearing a hole just below his toes on the right foot. I know you said your ds hasn't been out playing lately, but we figured out one day that my son was using his foot on the back tire of his bike to stop it! We started going to sears to get Sketchers and he went through three pairs of those in less than 2 months, however, they have the kid advantage program (if they wear it out before they out grow it, bring it back for a free replacement). Last Aug. I let him talk me in to Ecko Rhinos. They were about $45.00, but he has not worn a hole in them, the sole has not started coming apart, and they still look good. I have figured with all the money I spent on inexpensive shoes, I should've bought these a long time ago and probably would have saved some money. The Ekos have a very thick sole on them too. And after 2 weeks with no bike, he is no longer using his foot as a brake:)

HTH,
Anggi

Austin 9 1/2
Juliya almost 5

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 9:45am

My DS (6) has had similar problems with different brands of shoes; some name brands, some not.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 9:46am
No advice here but I feel you on the holes. If I had a quarter for every time I've told my oldest to stop dragging his feet when he walks I would not be rich but I

button13.gif picture by stephanienegron

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 10:56am

Since it is in the same spot every time, I'm betting he has some habit he's not even aware of that causes the shoe to wear out in that one spot, something like rubbing one foot against the back of the other leg all day at school, or hooking that foot under the sharpish edge of a desk foot or something.

You might want to try switching from sneakers to something more durable, like a low hiker. They are made from stronger stuff and have reinforced/covered toes that can withstand a lot of abuse. Something like this: http://www.peterglenn.com/product/hi-tec-invada-ii-low-junior-hiking-shoes-kids or this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/LaceupShoes~198370_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::ZME&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000357&origin=index

Sarah

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 12:17pm
I think it is a habit of some sort too...I find myself sitting at the computer with my foot back and my toe on the ground. My ds wears out the top of his shoe but somehow he has one foot on top of the other. :-D
Good luck.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 4:02pm

I constantly had a scuff mark on the top of the right toe box of

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-31-2010 - 1:04pm

DS

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 6:53pm

The same type of thing used to happen to me with flip-flops.