Vet - annual visit

iVillage Member
Vet - annual visit
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 10:25am

Just came back from the vet for both the dog and the cat's annual visit, vaccines, bloodwork, fecal tests, and another year's worth of heartworm meds. It was over $500 for both critters. Ouch! I know it's important, but it's soooo much money! That took a chunk out of our tax refund.

Before we got our pets, we did research on the internet to get an idea of how much we'd need to budget for them. The estimates were all much lower than reality. We easily spend at LEAST double what the estimates said, and we don't even really even pamper our animals (we take care of them, but we don't spend excess money on unnecessary stuff). We love our critters, but they are definitely a budget flop!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 10:37am

I know. I spend at least $50 a month for the pets. That's not including food either.

Like you, between the heartworm tests, the heartworm preventative, the vaccinations, treats and things like cat litter and fish tank filters, I spend the full amount on average.

I did buy my own clippers so I can groom my dog myself now. But I also HATE it. It takes me about two days to groom one dog as opposed to the groomer doing it in about 4 hours. And she looks like a kid with a bad haircut every time. LOL

But they are worth it. And there's just NO way I would ever do without the heartworm meds again either. My one little mutt dog got heartworm, which was previously never an issue, and it was awful. So I don't skimp on my pets. But yes, oh so expensive.

Good thing they are cute.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 9:14pm

Been there, done that, got the membership card and the T-shirt!!!!!!

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 12:49pm

I get all of my

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 10:00pm
ITA about Pets-Megastore. I've been using them for at least 8 years. They frequently run free shipping offers, even if you're not ordering over $100US.
Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 10:19pm

Thanks for the link! I usually get my Frontline on eBay for less money than I can get it elsewhere, but it's nice to know there are options for the heartworm meds, too (it looks like the heartworm meds at that the link you provided are about half of what I paid through the vet's office).

I wish I could groom the dog myself. She is a great dog in so many ways, but she does NOT like being groomed. She doesn't like being brushed, and she hates haircuts. She's a poodle mix, so her hair grows pretty quickly. We get her shaved down completely every 2-3 months ($80 each time -- cheapest I've found). I can't even trim her nails myself 'cus she's so darn wiggly (we've tried with dh, ds and myself holding her, and we can't do it). We spend a LOT of money on haircuts and nail trims for the silly girl. At least I can trim the cat's nails if I only do 1-2 at a time.

I have to say that although it's expensive, it IS kind of entertaining to take the dog to get her nails trimmed. The dog is not aggressive, but she's completely uncooperative. The groomer will take the dog's paw, and the dog will pull it away. They'll repeat that several times before the groomer finally gets an extra person to help hold the dog. Even then it takes several tries. The dog sits there with a look of bored innocence the whole time she's resisting. I guess her nail trimmings can go under my entertainment budget, huh?!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 6:19pm

I think many estimates are lower because many folks don't really get all the stuff done. My SIL just gives her cats rabies shots, and that's it.

I do have to admit, now that my

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 10:17pm

We have 4 cats (!).

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 10:01pm

I have not been on here in forever but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am a former vet-tech (who is blushing as I admit that my dog is WAY over due for his shots!).

I just wanted to add that if you are routinely giving your dog heartworm meds. you don't have to have your dog tested for heartworm. The med. already guarantees you that your dog is negative. BUT this is only true if you give the meds. monthly. Otherwise you need to have your dog checked before you give the next dose. SO if you do give it religiously, you can turn down that blood test next time and save that $20 for the test, and your doggy from a prick.

Holly