Emergency room visit...

iVillage Member
Emergency room visit...
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 9:26pm

Ugh.

I haven't been feeling very well lately. Over the last few days, it's been getting worse and worse. I've had multiple asthma attacks in the last few days - my inhaler was no longer helping.

I do not have health insurance and therefore no primary care doctor. So, if I get sick, I have to a) tough it out or b) go to a local hospital ER that accepts all patients.

I'm dreading the bill for this visit...considering a 30 min visit for a massive ear infection was almost $1200.

3 chest x-rays
2 breathing treatments
antibotics
steroids

Diagnosis: Bronchitis that is irritating my asthma and causing it to flare.

Time in the ER: 4 hours. I left from work, so I missed almost 5 hours of work. Went back and ended up having to leave again because I feel terrible.

Pharmacy closed - can't fill scrips.

Ugh.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 10:13pm

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Don't worry about the bill right now. You'll get to it when you feel better. The important thing is to get better.

Laura

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 11:48pm

Oh Brandee, that stinks!!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-14-2010 - 8:37pm

sorry you aren't feeling well....hope you are feeling better soon.

do you have a nebulizer? if not, getting one may be a lot less expensive than having to go to the ER for treatment....the inhaler really doesn't help me much, but my nebulizer does

are there any carenow clinics near you? if so, they have reduced office visit fees for people without insurance

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Edited 3/14/2010 8:45 pm ET by mom_x_three

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 7:07am

Hope that you are feeling better now!

Do you have a minute clinic or urgent care close by? I think they would be cheaper than the ER. If your kids don't have any health insurance, most states offer some medical assistance -it is called FAMIS in my state.

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 2:07pm

I have illness induced asthma which means, I generally only have attacks when I have a other major illness going on (like the bronchitis). This is only the second time in almost 10 years I've had to have breathing treatments - the first time was actually when I was diagnosed with asthma. As a rule, my inhaler controls it very well. However, I found out thru the pharmacy that my inhaler was 18 months old and likely not as effective. The dr did write me a scrip for a new inhaler.

No. We don't have CareNow clinics here. :(

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 2:08pm
We do have urgent care clinics in this area and I actually went to one of those first the other day. They turned me away due to a) no insurance and b) the intensity of my asthma attack. They told the girl with me to get me to the ER ASAP before I had complete airway closure.
Photobucket
Photobucket