Dental expenses

iVillage Member
Dental expenses
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 11:36am

Not really a flop, I guess, because not taking care of things could lead to worse, more expensive things! But still not easy to swallow the oop amounts!

I have a molar that has a small fracture. They want to do a crown. Cha ching! My portion, after insurance, is about $850! I was told they could do a 3 surface filling as a temporary measure, but who knows how long that would last. The filling route is only $70. But how long will it last? Could be a few years or not. Not doing anything is not an option. If the tooth would actually break, they'd want me to do a bridge. (I say just yank it out at that point!)

13ds has 4 baby teeth that are loose. They need to come out. Soon. So the ortho can finish putting on the braces. Of course, ds is about 2 months shy of the estimated date of getting the braces off. So his slow-growing teeth will extend his ortho treatment time. Luckily, one price no matter how long on the ortho. The bad news is that our portion, after insurance, for getting those 4 teeth out is $96/tooth!! Ds has about 2 weeks to start wiggling, twisting, etc. to try to get them out on his own!!

18ds has a cavity that will have to be filled once he's home for the summer. Not sure on the cost, probably at least $100.

Add all that to the $294 I've already paid this month for just the regular check-ups for 4 of us.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 3:49pm

Those dental bills are a killer! We haven't had dental insurance for a long time and even the preventative stuff is super high. My DH started a new job and we will be eligible for dental in early May. Thinking about re-scheduling DS's cleaning appts. until May. We will get free preventative care.

Kim

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 9:50pm

I kind of don't understand the point of dental insurance!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 10:48pm
I feel your pain.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 7:59am

I hear you.

The dentist office called me today with a cancellation that was available. I need to get my teeth cleaned. I reluctantly agreed because I'm having some sensitivity to hot and cold which probably means I have a broken tooth or something that's $$$$. And like you, it's better to get it taken care of before I need a root canal or something horrible.

I realized I haven't received a bill for dh's deep cleaning that happened a few weeks ago for $400.

Dd has braces that we pay $200 a month for and she sees a periodontist for when she broke her aveolus ridge bone a year and a half ago. So we see him on the April 6th after putting it off for awhile.

Dental expenses gang up on me at the first of the year. UGH.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 9:36am

I hate dental expenses!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 1:54pm

Yikes!