how how how???Flop

iVillage Member
how how how???Flop
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 3:27pm

so when me and DH go to the super market (every other week), we fill the cart to the brim and pay 70 euros, give or take 5 euros.

two days ago, we went and we only filled the cart half way. i bought a little less of everything. we paid 90 euros! HOW?

the only things i can think of is that in the past two weeks, sales tax here has gone from 19% to 23%, i bought ground beef that was 2 euros more expensive than the usual one we buy, and i bought one fillet of salmon which was super expensive at 4.35. yes, one piece of salmon was 4.35. i probably shouldnt have but i really wanted to eat salmon and i like never, ever, ever get to because DH hates it.

i know this sounds pathetic but after we paid and went to the car, i actually cried over it. it's just the pressure of being broke got to me at that moment.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 4:06pm

((( Hugs)))

I think this happens to many of us. We have good weeks, then there are weeks that is seems we bought nothing and spent our weekly share of money. I too have just sat in the car wondering "what am I going to do now?"

Take a deep breath. you'll get through.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 6:48pm
hello!! i think we've all been there. there are sometimes i go shopping and look at the cart when i hear the total
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 12:11pm
Wow on the sales tax! But I guess you are paying for the Greek bailout now.
signature
signature 
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 5:47pm

Your sales tax is 23% on food?!?!?! OMG that's insane!!! That is overwhelming in and of itself, especially if you are living on a tight budget. In my state, we pay 2.5% on food and 5% on everything else!

Sure food is expensive, but I try to remind myself that it is pretty much the most important thing we buy!