Dh's car broke down MAJOR flop

iVillage Member
Dh's car broke down MAJOR flop
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 7:42am

Well Monday dh called and said his car quit on his way home. I went and picked him up and we decided it sounded like either the battery or alternator went bad. Took the battery to be tested and it was fine so called a family member who is a mechanic and he looked and saw that the starter was fried. So went and spent $200 on a starter and he replaced it, car still wouldnt start. So he looks and sees that the car threw the timing chain and wrapped up the entire engine. A second opinion agreed and they both said a new engine. The car is a 2001 and dh said forget it so yesterday we bought a new car.

Normally I would be excited about it since we had planned to buy a new one in October so a few months early shouldn't be a problem but I don't work in the summers so I'm bringing in no income right now and we had planned to keep that car and hand it down to our 15 year old dd when she turns 16 in Sept. So nobody is too thrilled with the new car. We did get a good price on a 2009 Kia Sportage and its still under the factory warranty so thats a big plus for us, it also was exactly what we wanted to pay so glad that all worked out for us! But I really wish the old car still ran, it never gave us problems so we are really shocked with it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 11:44am

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 11:57am

I really do not like car problems either

At least you got a good deal on

Becky
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 2:27pm
That really bites! I'm glad you found a good deal but I know your dd is disappointed (she'll live... ;-) I had a similar happening when I bought my new car. I knew it was coming but was hoping the old car would hang on for a few more months. But it was getting too costly for upkeep and my neighbor ended up buying it for $200.
signature
signature 
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 4:33pm
I am begining to enjoy the new car and my mechanic/cousin picked up dh's car and is stripping it for parts which will fit our other car (not the new one) so thats a plus. And he has someone who is considering buying it for the body for $500 or he will take it to the junkyard where he thinks we will get around $400 so at least its something.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 11:33pm

Car problems suck. That's for sure.

You always need to keep an eye on the timing belt. There is usually a regular replacement guidelines. It's something like every 70k miles or something, but I can't remember. It's an easy way to avoid what just happened to you. A timing belt is <$100 usually.

I am so sorry you had to go through this. At least you had planned on a new car.

Laura