Frugal victory for dh

iVillage Member
Frugal victory for dh
Sun, 06-27-2010 - 10:48pm

Dh is disabled with MS. Mobility is a big issue for him. He has a scooter. The battery is not working the best. Is not holding a decent charge. The company that made the scooter went out of business. Sure I could get the battery recelled for 100$ at Batteries Plus. But if something else goes on it. Parts are not available. Sweet timing. My aunt Marlene passed away some weeks back. Her apartment has to be cleaned out by the end of June. She had a nice power chair. A Invacare brand. My cousin Tom called today. Says my mother wanted your dh to have that power chair. Can we come get it today. As they were cleaning out the last of her things in the apartment.

Ok I and our son go get it. It took 2 of them to put it in our mini van. It's not something you can lift in and out on your own. That chair is almost 200 pounds with battery pack. But it's a better chair for dh overall. So I went online to see about a ramp that is portable. It rests on the back of the mini van. You just roll the chair in and out. See a company that had them at fair prices. It tells you how to get the right size ramp. So I go measure the ground up to where the ramp would rest. Like it said to. Then it calculates size. So it says I need a 7 ft ramp. If it's not being used with a passenger also on it. Just used for rolling in and out the chair. Ok check the price. It's 244$. Shipping is free. Can hold up to 700 pounds in weight. Ok we really didn't have that kind of money. But since I didn't have to call a plumber for the basement. I ordered the chair ramp. I went online to see what that power chair goes for new. Well for any of the Invacare power chairs. They are over 5,000$. Closer to 6,000$ depending on what bells and whistles you get put on it. So for what I paid for the ramp. That was a frugal victory. It won't be a frugal victory when I get the estimate for the basement wall. But will deal with that later.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 9:28am
Souns like you got something you needed just at the perfect time - definitely VICTORY!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 2:28pm
This all might turn a bit flop. I did to much this weekend working around the house wise. Then went to get the power chair. I am sick. I can barely get any words out. Been like that since Sunday. If I am not better in a few days. Might be popping for the walk in doctor. They got the Take Care Clinic at Walgreens. Staffed by a Nurse Practicioner. I think they get 65$ for the office visit. Not including minor testing etc. they can do there. Not including meds if needed. That's cheaper than the regular medical clinic we use normally. But since I have no insurance. Gotta go where it's cheap.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 8:56am

Glad that your dh has a new chair. Hope that it will be comfortable for him.

Hope you feel better soon!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 7:04pm

that is great

Becky