Earthquake swarms....

iVillage Member
Earthquake swarms....
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 1:01pm

California is experiencing some earthquake swarms in an area that is known to be near the San Andreas fault. Authorities are a little concerned that it could put the S. Andreas under pressure and start a large quake. Keep your fingers crossed that we're not looking at something big.

But I wanted to post just as a reminder to EVERYONE to make sure you are always disaster-ready.

I'm off to check my supplies and make sure I have what I need. This was on my TO DO list and just got pushed aside. It's been awhile since I checked on my stash, and you know, this just brings it back into focus.

Wherever you are, whatever Mother Nature throws at you in your area.....are you ready if disaster strikes?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 1:14pm

My thoughts are with everyone dealing with the possibility of an earthquake. I'm also thinking of everyone in Alaska dealing with the volcano eruption AND in the Dakota's with the flooding.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 2:12pm
I live in the SF Bay Area and didn't even know this (I try to avoid the news.......lol).
Wedding
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 4:17pm

Thanks for the reminder!

Stay safe!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 4:19pm

I, like you live extremely close to the San Andreas fault line. I think that if we did have the "Big One"

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 5:03pm

Hey,

Does anyone have a list of stuff that you need and how to get that stuff frugally ( if that is a word)

Thanks

Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 5:48pm

Here are some things you need to start with:

Band Aids - all sizes

Rubbing Alchol and Hydrogen Peroxide

Antibiotic Cream

Asprin (Adult & Baby)

Gauze and an Ace Bandage

Twizzers

Small Scissors

Blankets

Water

Canned food (also canned pet food)

Toilet Paper & Baby needs

Toothbrushes & Toothpaste

Socks - in case of broken glass and debris

Flashlights

Place these items in a closet, cabinet or shelf near an exit or garage door.

You may also consider putting a kit together for your car. That way you have what you need in a hurry.

Assign an area in your home where medications can be retrieved in one location. Maybe store all currently used meds in a large ziploc bag in the pantry. That way you can get the meds without running all over the house.

All of the first aid supplies, toothbrushes, tweezers

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 6:47pm
Kotex and other cheap sanitary pads can be purchased at the dollar store. They make good bandages for large wounds should the need arise. And the price is certainly right!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-25-2009 - 6:52pm

"My only big worry is if the quake damaged the freeway system.

Wedding