Seciurty system for house

iVillage Member
Seciurty system for house
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 10:42pm

Hi Girls-

As always yet another question. We just had ADT knock on our door. DH and I have been thinking about getting a security system for a while, since the economy is so bad. I have heard from many different places that people are getting desperate. I live in a nice neighborhood but still worry. I also like the idea of having some senors on our doors. The twins opened up the door to some religious people and I had NO IDEA till the dog started going NUTS!

ANYWAYS- what do you all think? Is it a waste of money? Should we think about it some more? As I said we just had a guy knock on the door- the set up was free with a 2 y/o contract. The cost is $40 a month. There is no way we are moving... can we afford it? Yeah... just less to credit cards....

HELP ME make this decision.....

Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-31-2009 - 9:36am

We've always had one since we've owned our own home. We've lived in safe neighborhoods, but I think all builders have them put in now and it didn't make sense to us to have one without having it monitored. DH also used to travel a lot and it made me feel better to know I had that quick connection to help if something did happen.

$40/mo seems a little high to me for monitoring though. We've never paid more than $30 and I know there are cheaper options. We've just been very happy with the company we use so have continued to use them.

My parents have ADT and have had some issues with theirs plus I don't think they got a great system (i.e. no window sensors and only one motion detector that doesn't get the whole house). If you leave your dogs in the house, you'll either need special motion detectors that won't pick them up or need to skip them (which we did at this house...they tend to cause a lot of false alarms IME anyway). If you decide you really want to do it, it might be a good idea to talk to some other companies as well before you decide. HTH!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-31-2009 - 2:07pm

We have found an installed security system well worth the money, just from the perspective of keeping track of our kids.

A friend who is a corporate security analyst recommended shopping around local firms to compare with ADT.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 9:51am

We have a security system (that came with the house). It's unarmed. We have the door alarms, so the front and back doors beep when they're opened (great to monitor kids) and it's audible outside

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 10:41pm

I don't really think it's all that necessary imo. Besides, you have a dog! And apparently, he knows what to do LOL.

I think you should wait, maybe get your husband to install some sensors if you're worried about the kids opening the doors, and get a monitored system later when you're out of debt.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 1:31pm

I didn't realize existing debt was part of the equation.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-03-2009 - 5:01pm

I don't normally post here, but I do lurk and read. I work at an alarm installation company. We do local alarms and monitoring in South Florida. I'm an admin asst, not sales, lol, so I'm just telling you what I know.

The difference between us and a company like ADT is when you get a system from us your entire house is covered. We put contacts on all doors and windows and there are a lot of questions we ask to find out the exact system you need to fit what your trying to do.

ADT's basic package comes with a panel and 2 contacts. I don't think it even comes with a siren. Also, you don't own the equipment. When you decide to cancel your service or go with another company, they come and take your equipment.

With my 'lesser known company' you purchase your equipment up front and you own it. You can be monitored or not monitored. Our basic monitoring package is $24.95 per month with a 3 year contract.

The difference in Activation Only and Monitoring is: if your not monitored, your alarm will sound and scare the intruder, but the police or fire dept will not be notified. Where as if your monitored, if your system goes off anytime 24/7 the police or fire dept will be notified.

Basically what I'm saying is, do some research and find out what it is their giving you. A panel (the guts of the system) and 2 contacts (they go on doors and windows) and a keypad (where you turn on/off your system)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-03-2009 - 5:10pm

Thank you guys, I always need a few people to remind me that I am broke and don't need another thing to pay for. Not that any of you said this as "matter a fact" as I just put it. We have decided to hold off on the alarm at least for a few months- maybe pay down 2 more cards and THEN get 1.

Don't laugh if I start running every purchase past your girls.

Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-03-2009 - 10:01pm

That is good information; my friend ran down some of the same at one point, but I was only half-listening because we owned the alarm systems built into our houses, and all of our ingress/egress points were covered.

One more thing to add on the subject - some cities will not allow direct police response at all because of too many false alarms, some cities will fine you for false alarms, and others don't seem to run into that problem and will actually send policemen.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 12:06pm
I'm probably the only one here that doesn't never want an alarm system.