QOTW.......What do you hate?........

iVillage Member
QOTW.......What do you hate?........
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 4:38pm

What is one frugal thing that you do but you absolutely HATE doing it???

For me it is slicing apples. Sounds stupid, I know. BUT--ds wears braces and is not allowed to bite into whole apples. He takes his lunch every day and apples is about the one fruit he will consistently eat. I refuse to buy the apples that are already sliced and treated in whatever they use to prevent discoloration. So every Monday morning, I slice up enough apples for the week, dip them in Sprite to prevent browning and pack them up in tupperware containers. It works, ds eats them and I save $$$. But I HATE IT!!!!

Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 5:17pm
I really hate washing out plastic bags.

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 6:05pm

Aw, man! So good to know Sprite works, too. I HATE lemon juice on sweet fruits like that. Will try Sprite next time!!!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 6:13pm

Outdoor home maintenance. I'd hire it all out if I could. Hubbs doesn't do it frequently enough to suit me, and I feel like I'm always living inside a home that's dirty on the outside, with an unkempt lawn, etc.

It's physically impossible for me to do it, so it's either hire it out, or just wait on hubbs. Boo! Hiss!!!

Also, I'd hire out cleaning the car inside and out. Or take it someplace. But, no, too pricey, so I have to do it. Hubbs will do it, but only half-way, and say, "That's good enough for now."

I do show appreciation for at least cleaning up part of it so I don't have to do it all. But, I'd really like it ALL done, at the same time. Not the windows this week, vacuuming next, the outside the following week.

I'd also like to hire out cleaning bathrooms (not just shining them, but really cleaning them), and cleaning floors. And washing the windows. Those are just totally grueling jobs for me.

But, being frugal, I do them myself.

:::sigh:::

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 6:35pm

LOL, I hate apples in general so some weeks I buy the presliced ones.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 6:56pm

Composting kitchen scraps...well, more specifically, cleaning out the compost container when it's been left to sit too long before being taken outside to the bin...phew, that's a dirty job!!

It would be so much easier to just throw everything in the trash, but I know it is better for the environment and better for our garden to collect the scraps. I just wish someone would take it out everyday (twice a day would be nice), so it isn't so "ripe" when it's time to wash it out (and it gets ripe pretty quickly, so it's not like it's sitting around for a week or more at a time either!)....thankfully you don't smell it as long as the lid is closed.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 10:29pm
This is probably going to sound stupid, but I hate plucking my eyebrows.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 11:17pm
I hate drudge yard work like CLEANING UP PINE NEEDLES! I love to garden as in making new garden beds, putting in plants, mowing the lawn. I even like to weed. But putting the ENDLESS pine needles in bags or in the can is awful. I also wish someone would blow the crap off the driveway twice a week too. No one does it but me. And part of what really ticks me off about it is that dh is the one who is more traditional in the sex roles and yet although I do all the *girl* stuff, he refuses to do this kind of work. Infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 12:55am

I hate keeping the heat down, but I'm NOT gonna pay those high heat bills! So, cold it is. BUT I also hate not having central air. We live in the desert, it gets hot, we have ceiling fans, and we just deal with it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 7:07am

Well there is a couple of things that I hate so to speak.

1. That my dh

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 7:18am

The thing I hate the most, MOST, MOST in the whole world is breaking up meat packages and trying to find room for everything in my tiny freezer!

-Erika

Pages