Non frugal friend

iVillage Member
Non frugal friend
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 5:59pm
I try to do things with my kids without spending a ton of money. I bought a membership to an aquarium so I can go for free all yr long. I like to go to matinee movies. Like, if I go to mcdonalds I dont always get the kids meal, I often will get a ton of chicken nuggets and split them up and get cheese burgers for who wants them. I mean really, how many fast food toys does one need. Dont get me wrong, I get them sometimes but not always.

Lisa

Mom to Kelly, PJ, John, Brooklyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 6:31pm
It is definitely harder when the kids are right there.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 11:38am

Why don't you suggest for her to pack a lunch also. You know, you need to just tell her it's not in the budget. Also if you can't control your spending around her then don't plan things with her as often. Or plan to have a picnic at the park. Plan to have icecream at your house or hers. Use the excuse (not that it is b.c it isn't) that eating out if really bad for the children so I am packing our lunch.

g/l I know its hard to stand up to a friend.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 3:41pm

Lisa-

I just wanted to say I SOOOO understand what you are going though. Before Most of my friends are still this way. Every time we meet up it is at a Starbucks or lets go to the mall and walk around then have lunch. I never saw how bad it was till I started to have to watch my budget. Some of them are getting better but some aren't. My thoughts are this. It is not my responsible to tell people what to spend there money on. If she can afford it then awesome. Cool for her. BUT you can't or maybe your want to teach your kids the value of money. BOTH?

What I have done is limit my time with them. I also have found myself saying lets meet at a park, I bring lunch and if they decide to go out after wards cool, I already bought my kids something. I also watch the time that I meet up with them. If I am picking the time then I say how about Mcdonalds at 3. This way I can do free ice cream cones for the kids and they still get to play. I also have done the storytime at the library and when they say after this lets go to lunch I say either I can't afford it OR I need to get the kids in bed.

Good Luck! Its hard but you get used to it.

Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:17am

"I am going to a free place tomorrow so I dont have to spend anything but I know I will have to get ice cream or something for my kids because her kids will "need' it."

You don't have to buy ice cream for your kids just because she buys it for hers. Talk to your kids before you leave the house about what you will and will not be doing when you go out. Slip some cookies or something in your purse so your kids can have a sweet snack too, if that's important to you.

Carrie
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 1:05pm

Hi there,

I'm a newbie here, but wanted to comment on this. Sometimes, you just have to think "it's none of my business." If she wants to spend money, there is nothing you can do about that. Just try to avoid outings that could have extra costs. Or,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-14-2009 - 6:12pm

Colleen,

Welcome to the board!

Carrie

Carrie