Thoughts on Costco?

iVillage Member
Thoughts on Costco?
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 2:04pm

I just wanted to get everyones thought on Costco/ Sam Club. Do you think it is worth it? OR do you think you can get smaller sizes for less money?

Also we are getting our 1st Super Walmart. I hate/love walmart but have never shopped there for food. The cheapest thing we have around is Winco. Do you think Walmart is cheaper than Winco?

I can't really check out there prices yet they are atleast 9 mo from openning. Just the shell of the building is up, but wanted you thought/advice on it.

Thanks

Erin

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 3:06pm

being a careful shopper, like most of us are, I have only found a few items at costco that are less expensive than at walmart or other stores. I don't like buying in bulk like that, either, so that's another issue. But I just haven't found their prices to be great on much. We do save when we buy printer ink there and I like their bakery and they have great tasting meat. I don't need those things, so I don't go. If I need ink, or a chocolate muffin fix, I get my dad or MIL to take me. I get a few things and am set for a very long time.

As for Winco vs Walmart, I just plain ole don't like winco. Some of their prices are better, or at least competitive, but it depends on what you buy. Their grand opening prices are outstanding. I don't like the whole bagging my own groceries thing, either. I think it's a royal pain in my rear. I don't mind bagging if I'm doing self check (which I prefer) but when it's all piled up there, it's more difficult. I have noticed that since winco opened, walmart is a lot calmer!

Stick to your price book and you'll be ok. It just feels like winco is a zoo. I don't understand the entire family shopping, I never have, and I tend to see that a lot more at winco (and all weekend at walmart!) and that makes me crazy. I also don't think winco has a very good selection, but neither does walmart.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 3:32pm

Never heard of Winco, so I have no thoughts about how it might compare to Wal-mart.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 3:37pm

We have a Sam's membership that we debate every time it comes up for renewal. We rarely if ever buy food there. But, they've got durable goods and such (folding chairs, table cloths, etc) that cost the same or less than Walmart (without the headaches of the parking at our local Walmart which is just nasty - DH hates it!) We'll also buy bulk bags of candy for holidays (Easter, Halloween, etc). Other than that, we don't use it much - but when we've wanted to use it, it's been handy to have.

Both BJs and Costco have moved into the area in the last few years but we don't bother going out of our way to compare or anything.

--Deb

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 3:58pm

I would price list items to see if it works for you. For me we have a costco card that we split with mil and a sams card (wait did). Now I just watch the sale ads and buy at kroger, meijer and cvs. We let our Sams card expire. I loved the store so much. It wasn't that the prices were that great, I just got into the habit of buying in bulk thinking that is was saving us money when really to me its not. Now with the Costco, we don't like it at all. I've been to costco once since we had the card and it expires in May.

It really depends on what you prefer. Oh wait now that toliteries were cheaper at Sams. The chicken was to now that I think about it. ;)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 4:12pm

We keep our Sam's club current. We have staples that we buy their once a month- big block of cheddar cheese, turkey bacon, frozen bag of chicken, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, ground turkey, marinated turkey breasts, eggs and the huge bag of broccoli. Spices are cheaper there too for us. &

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 4:50pm

(long time lurker delurking here; I have gotten great ideas from all of you, thanks!)

I guess it depends on where you live. In our case -- ridiculously expensive city in the North East -- COSTCO is really worth it.

Granted, we happen to be on the food snob side :)) , but their French/Italian style bakery breads, italian salami, good healthy crackers and baked chips, and cheese are really 40 % cheaper than our supermarket. (and I need those to pack sandwiches for lunches). Ditto for the meats, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pickled foods; gorgeous (and 40 % cheaper) sea food.

Also, ours has great produce selection: I buy organic baby greens in a 1 lb box for 4.36, (the equivalent at out local store will cost me over 11 dollars, for regular not organic greens -- and no, we do not buy exclusively organic, it is that COSTCO only carries organic baby greens (we love baby greens though, we do got through a pound every week). Their tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, lettuce, European cucumbers are way cheaper and better quality than our supermarket. Now, what i noticed is that COSTCO produce is really fresh -- their bagfuls of veggies look huge, but I have kept red peppers over three weeks in the fridge without them even starting to wrinkle! even thier greens are really crispy 4-5 days after their "sell by date", which is ususally way ahead of the date you buy them on. Of course, they do not carry a huge selection: no herbs, eggplant, zuchini, etc -- but plenty of good (and cheaper) potatoes, onions, carrots.

(In defense of my attempts at frugality, however, we allow ourselves these 'specialty foods", but we cook eveyrything from scratch, so it kinda evens out, money-wise)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 4:52pm
Ok, about the sea food prices i am not absolutely positive anymore -- haven't bought ti in a long time, but it was definitely worth it a year ago.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 5:47pm

I have certain things I buy at Costco, but some other stuff is cheaper if I get it on sale or with coupons at somewhere like Winco, Safeway, Target, Walmart or even Walgreens.

Wedding
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 7:23pm

LOL - those plastic wraps never end! I think my last one lasted 10 years, but I haven't bought another because I don't have room for it on the counter!

I love Costco for shampoo, shower gel, etc. I stock up there once every three months and save a fortune (what saves money is all the other stuff I'm not buying if I had to go to the drug store to buy it more often - I'm a drug store freak, it's my weakness.)

Costco meat is fantastic. I also buy mustard, pickles, hot sauce

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 10:19pm

You and the "confessed food snob" (we are foodies too, but we

Pages