iVillage Member
QOTW........Food-buying mistakes......
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 7:51am

Top 5 Money Mistakes We Make When Buying Food

Do you make any of these mistakes?

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 8:36am

I don't feel like I make any of these mistakes--at least not on a regular basis.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 9:14am

Well according to the article, I do make some off the mistakes. In my mind they are not mistakes but choices.

We eat out. Once a week for dinner and once a week for lunch. Dinner is all 3 of us as a family. Lunch is my son and I. DH eats lunch out only when it can be expensed for work. He is the brown bag king of the office. I budget for meals out. It is a choice we make. I can't remember the last time a meal out wasn't planned.

I do plan my meals based on what sounds good to me or what DH/DS have requested. I don't use circulars. Once I get to the store, if ribeyes are on sale rather than flank steak, I will swap. On the other hand when we get to the store, if something looks good I might substitute that for another meal. As long as I stay in my weekly budget, I am good.

Coupons. I just found out that Whole Foods has coupons! This months flier had some for many items I buy regularly so I was happy. We do use coupons for meals out. We get a monthly mailer with food coupons in it.

I am incredibly brand loyal. My loyalty is based on health. I will definitely pay more for a product with lower fat, sodium, sugars and more natural or all natural (organic even better) ingredients.

We don't have any type of Warehouse membership.

I view food as a quality of life kind of thing. We need to eat and I want my food to be healthful, varied an taste good. It is one of our splurges. Heather

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 10:19am

I thought the article was interesting.

I too go to Aldi for a lot of "necessities" & then I shop the local grocery stores by using sites like southernsavers.com (I'm in GA) to get the best price through sales & coupons on anything we might want to stock up on. For instance I got 2 big bottles of glass plus glass cleaner for $.24 each at Publix because of a sale & coupons.

Like the previous poster we also eat organic and only buy organic dairy (we are vegetarian so we don't eat meat) but I'm not brand loyal and will buy whatever brand of organic dairy is on sale or I have a coupon for. I really wish my Aldi still stocked organic milk but I guess it just wasn't a good seller!

All in all I'd say we save over 50% on every trip to the store & rarely spend more than $40 a week for the two (well almost 3 since I'm 9 months pregnant) of us and that included toiletries, cleaners & paper goods.

We do splurge & eat out occasionally but being as we don't eat meat it's a lot harder to do here in GA without having to drive 30+ minutes to get to a restaurant that has great veggie options!

Photobucket

pregnancy due datePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 12:40pm

Well we do eat out, usually about 3-4 meals a week.

Wedding
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 6:15pm

We usually eat out once or twice on weekends.

We also supplement what we already have with loss-leaders.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-09-2009 - 12:16pm

I'd say I do 1 and I used to do 5!!! What I do once a week, or it seems that way lately is cook dinner and then went something else like fast food. This week I have been good though. I almost did it last night but I said to my self over and over again while I cooked, "If I can't put anything on DEBT or savings then we can't have taco bell". It worked. That was really hard though, not only did I have to convince myself but I had to convince DH also. He likes to give into me and I told him to quit doing that b/c I am a WEAK person sometimes.

Now to number 5. We didn't reup our Sams card or Costco card b/c i would just buy things. Like that manwich stuff. (which I donated this morning).

I'm trying so hard to get better on the going out to eat. Last month was an imporvement, but this month could become a great improvement. We have only went out once this month. And that is my future goal, to go somewhere nice once a month instead of fast food all the time, plus it would save us more money in the long run. :)

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-09-2009 - 1:30pm

We eat out occasionally, but not on a weekly basis. We rarely get takeout, only a couple of times a year.

I scan the circulars, but I don't plan my meals around the weekly sales. I plan meals based on what we like, and what

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 7:31pm
I've made them mistakes before.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 4:34am

I do, but I don't consider them mistakes.

I don't particularly plan for dinner (or breakfast and lunch) before I shop, but we don't often have take-out.

At one time I did shop from the sales ads. But, except for certain fresh produce, we didn't necessarily eat what I bought the week I bought it, so we weren't restricted to only eating what I could find on sale that week. Now, it's not always practical for me to shop from the ads. Instead, I made a general list (for example, fresh fruits and vegetables) and I buy what is a good value.

I'm loyal to certain brands, true, but many of those brands are store brands (largely from Costco, Target, and Trader Joe's). I'm not enthusiastic about loyalty cards.

I shop at Costco.

What is frugal for me may not be frugal for another person. And what's frugal for another family, or person, may not be frugal for me or mine.

Carrie

Carrie