Frugal Prom?

iVillage Member
Frugal Prom?
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 12:41pm

I was reading an article in my local paper over the weekend about having a frugal prom, finding ways to cut back on the costs of their dress by trading in their old ones, carpooling instead of renting a limo,

iVillage Member
In reply to: Cmmelissa
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 1:17pm
I really like the idea of borrowing a dress from a friend, or even having alterations made to one you may already own. Also check resale shops, Craigslist and even Freecycle or Ebay for dresses and shoes, handbags, etc. Here in the town I live, we have a cosmetology school that has seriously excellent prices (like a haircut for $5), so you could check to see if there is a beauty school nearby. For the dinner, check Restaurant.com. They often sell gift certificates for 50+% off the face value, so you may be able to get a great deal there.

Photobucket
~Liz
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 3:19pm

My dd is going to the prom this year. She is only a sophomore, so thankfully she isn't getting caught up in the whole "prom hysteria" that is permeating the junior and senior class, lol.

She is wearing a

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 5:05pm

I agree that a secondhand or deeply discounted dress is the way to go.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 5:57pm
This is something "frugal" that I witnessed. Definitely not something that I would recommend though. I had went to Kohls to return something. As I was waiting in line, a lady was returning fancy jewelry ($78 dollars worth). The jewelry had a piece of cardboard on it with the price tag that slipped over the jewelry to hang the jewelry up, very easy to take on and off. Apparently, customer service could not find one of the pieces on her receipt. The lady then said that she brought all the jewelry at the same time for the prom. This was a Monday and many of the local schools had their prom the previous Friday. Maybe the lady just didn't care but after saying that, it was obvious that the jewelry was worn and it was now being returned. Ugh!! That just rubbed me the wrong way. Kohls didn't have any problem refunding her money though.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 5:07pm

Here's the most frugal prom idea---don't go, LOL!

That was the solution for my ds both last year and this year. No one in his group of friends wanted to go. So, both years, they did an anti-prom party instead!

It's not that they don't like the dances, formals, etc. since he's gone to every homecoming and winter formal in his 4 years of high school. I'm not sure what it was about prom but it worked for me, LOL!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 8:41pm
Just wanted to add another idea...in the vein of borrowing a dress...my dd just had her Sweet 16, and she wanted a "prom" dress for the big event. We wound up checking out the thrift stores, and she found 3 dresses that she fell in love with. They were like new (probably worn once), and for less than half

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-23-2009 - 5:38pm
for both of my girls we went to an outlet mall for the dresses, and payless for shoes....they did their own hair, makeup and no limo rentals...one DD went in a friend's car, the other, a friend's parent drove them

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 2:19pm

We did something similar for dinner. My date and I went with 2 other couples, and my date's father offered to serve us dinner at his house. It was lovely - he set the dining room table with a white tablecloth and china and silver, and candlelight. He served us a delicious three course meal, and he was very much like a waiter-- served our plates, refilled our water glasses, and stayed in the kitchen when he wasn't doing that. It was like eating at a fancy restaurant-- without the expense. In addition, he was a photographer and took pictures of us before dinner.

The guys rented a limo-- they got a discount because the limo was old, and it was maroon, not black!

I borrowed a dress from a friend, and another friend did my hair. I wore shoes that I already had, and I borrowed an evening purse from my mom. My only real expense I think was having the dress dry cleaned after the prom before returning it to my friend.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 10:01pm

Here's the most frugal prom idea---don't go, LOL!