sorry this was to be under the parenting part
Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 10:07am

We have lived

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 10:34am

I find that they nearly need to have twice as much clothes. They also go through clothes alot fastest.

Having to change out of a uniform when you get home into something to play in - generates more laundry - even if you tell them to wear the outfit again...it might end up on the floor, thus in the hamper, thus in the laundry before it's time.

Uniform clothes also cost more because there are certain guidelines to follow - more strict than regular school dress codes. My DD#2's school - kaki or navy pants, but not cargo style - so anything that has more than the normal set of pockets is not allowed. Do you know how many great pairs of cheap kaki colored stupid cargo pants I have found that I cannot buy! GRRR

I do find great deals at thrift stores, but when there's no selection because everyone else has scooped them up, you have to head to the regular stores, Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer whatever and pay almost twice as much as you would for a normal outfit. (Because a normal outfit I would be able to find something on the clearance rack).

We also have a shoe uniform policy - shoes have to be all one color, black, white or brown - pain in my butt.

I don't think uniforms remedy what the adminstration thinks it does. All my girls go to public school (what the principal calls a "poor" school) and they focus so much on the stupid uniforms. If they put that much effort on hands on learning tools - think of how much knowledge the kids would gain - but no - they know they have to wear a belt if their bottoms have belt loops and their shoes can't be pink and you're not even allowed to wear hair things (headbands, etc) if they're not uniform colors. It's crap.

...stepping off my soapbox...

Erin

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 11:04am

I think they can save a lot of money in middle and high school but not so much in elementary school.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 11:33am

In general, my DD wears only skirts, below the knees,

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 9:10pm

I love having school uniforms.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 10:24pm
This is our first year but so far all uniforms have done for me is give me a headache... i dont see it saving us money as he'd still need to change after school and i doubt i'll cut down much on his regular clothes...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 6:49am

The Catholic school that my DD went to had a uniform closet that had uniforms that parents donated because their kids out grew them. I only had to buy 2 jumpers and shirts plus a gym uniform for my daughter everything else came from the uniform closet. She was in public school at the beginning of the year and the cost was 4x more for clothes.

I'm homeschooling now so clothes costs will be really low this Fall. It doesn't matter what they wear when they are at home all day.

france

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 10:16am

I like the convenience of uniforms, but they definitely do not save us money. My youngest son has always worn his big brother's hand me downs, but since his older brother is in public school and doesn't wear uniforms, we have to buy all new stuff.

He is tough on clothes, and having to launder and use the same few things over and over again causes us to have to

Laura

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 7:39pm
to me, they didn't save money....the kids HATED the uniform type clothes and still needed jeans, casual shirts, church clothes,etc...so I ended up buying more clothes

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Pages