Arlington TX vs Cleveland (Independan...

iVillage Member
Arlington TX vs Cleveland (Independan...
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 12:29pm
Anyone have any insight to either of these places? DH had the opportunity to interview for the same job/same company just in different places. He would like to interview where he wants to be.
We know nothing about tx as we have never been there. We grew up in the SW corner of Ohio (and our parents are there) but both our parents have stated that cleveland is not the best city (don't know what they are basing it on) but the city/company is only 10 miles from cleveland.
Any thoughts are appriciated as he should probably decide by tomorrow. I think my email is available if you would rather email me.
Thanks

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 2:13pm

Wow, that's not a lot of time to make a decision that may impact your family in a huge way!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 2:36pm

I agree that it's a very personal decision so I can't really say which is better. I have lived in Texas most of my life and near the DFW Metroplex for the last 10+ years and we like it here. I have never been to Ohio although we have friends from there who moved back for a while and came back to Texas in fairly short order so my only impression of it isn't very favorable.

There's a lot to do here and the cost of living is fairly low. We also haven't felt the economic issues nearly as strongly here. I will also comment that the climate in the Metroplex is nothing like that of Houston (thankfully!). You do need to like heat and don't expect snow (although we do get a little here and there most years.)

Arlington is not really a city apart from Dallas. It's pretty much smashed between Dallas and Fort Worth with not much separate identity IMO.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 3:33pm

I'm a lurker, but I thought I would add my two cents. I live in Northeast Ohio (about 40 minutes from Cleveland) and went to college in Cleveland. You wouldn't want to live in Cleveland proper, but there are plenty of wonderful suburbs. The cost of living is great, the parks are great, great cultural institutions, great things to do (Cedar Point, festivals, shopping, etc.) Personally, I like four seasons... Cleveland winters are definitely snowier/colder than SW Ohio. I have friends in Texas and cannot stand the heat and humidity. The other thing about Texas (at least to me) is that everything is so spread out.... it's a long drive to everything while in Northeast Ohio, the commutes are much more manageable. The recession has hit Cleveland pretty hard and the real estate market too, but that could work to your advantage since you would be able to find a nice house for a bargain.

Which city is the job? You said ten miles out of Cleveland... that could be a lot of different places... if you know which one, I could let you know what I know about it.

Melanie

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 5:22pm

My SIL moved to the DFW metroplex from the Cleveland area 20 years ago, and WILD HORSES could not drag her back to OH to live.

I have a playgroup friend who has been trying to escape from the Cleveland area for the last 3 years; unfortunately the tanking real estate market keeps her stuck there.

I have lived in a lot of different parts of the country (Washington, Chicago suburbs, Southern CA, New England, and unfortunately, New Mexico) and am not a native of either Texas or Ohio, but rather Seattle (not to be confused with Eastern Washington, which is a whole different can of worms), so I think I'm pretty objective.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 8:17pm

The job is in Independence OH. It says its 10 miles south of Cleveland and 30 minutes north of Akron. It seems like a very nice town its just that its so close to two cities who according to the internet have a lot of crime:)
We lived in the UP of Michigan before living in MN so we are used to pretty harsh winters (in MI we got 180 inches of snow a year while in MN we spent the better part of Jan in below zero this year. My sons school was closed twice due to wind chills being -30 and we are not north of Minneapolis).

Having to drive around wouldn't be a big issue to us in that I drive 40 miles to get to a decent grocery store and to work. We would still be 15 hours from our parents like we are now.

Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to take advantage of the real estate as if we move we are pretty much going to be leaving the house we own. There is no way we could sell it in this market but no way we can afford it without DH working (and nearly no jobs for him here). His job isn't manufacturing but is white collar and apparently Independence is full of that as well.

thanks for the info

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 11:10pm

Independence is pretty far from Cleveland. I know the Internet says 10 miles, but the suburbs (particularly the southern suburbs) are pretty well segregated from the city. There is no way I would live in Cleveland or Akron (but I do live right next door to Akron), but when you live in one of the suburbs you never have to go into the city. The economic problems are pretty widespread, but the crime is not. The Cleveland schools suck, but that is not the same for the rest of the area. Independence is in southern Cuyahoga County... right next door to northern Summit County, which is home to many nice affordable communities with great schools. Just wanted to say that Cleveland has a bad rep (and most of it is deserved), but there are a lot of great areas around it that aren't negatively impacted. Good luck with the job interview and wherever you choose to relocate.

Melanie

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 5:02pm

Hi!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 9:00pm

I'm a native of Fort Worth and DH and I had our first apartment and home in Arlington. DH's family lives in the Akron area and we visit there quite often.

I would choose Arlington hands down, any day. The Cleveland and Akron areas always feels like they're dying to me, while Arlington is vibrant and growing. Downtown Akron is practically a ghost town. The weather is better in North Texas (you don't get the humidity like say, Houston), there are great schools and it's a much friendlier welcoming place.

Good luck with your decision!

Laura

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Laura

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-20-2009 - 4:21pm

I would add that there are a variety of suburbs that you might like, if Arlington doesn't suit.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-20-2009 - 5:30pm

If you compare newspapers (interesting idea, btw, and good advice), make sure you compare over several days or weeks. I just compared the Cleveland Plain Dealer to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram and based on today's news I'd never move to Texas! The top stories were about a mother dying after waiting 4 years on a transplant list, kids being concerned that they won't have a camp to go to if Lockheed sells the land they use, some professional athlete seeking a paternity test to see if the unborn child of a woman he slept with is his (and if so he'll seek custody), and the governor vetoing 37 bills passed by the legislature. In Cleveland the top story is about the Cleveland Aquarium seeking a downtown facility, a fluff story about celebrity namesakes in a publicity stunt, the financial disclosures of a senatorial candidate showing that he's a prosperous attorney, a murder suspect being re-arraigned on murder charges from a 1988 murder, and three Cleveland health centers going digital.

The top stories in Texas either make the place look dysfunctional or make me believe that newspaper readers there like to read stories that are a bit on the sensational side.

I agree about local blogs--they tend to be extreme one way or the other. They either love a place and won't hear a word against it, or loathe the place and can't say one good thing about it.

Sarah

Pages