Got Any Back-to-School Tips to Share?

iVillage Member
Got Any Back-to-School Tips to Share?
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 2:10pm

iVillage wants to showcase your back-to-school tips!

What do you wish you would have known before the first day of school?

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-11-2009 - 11:56pm

Money saving tips for back to school:

Shop at home first. I find that I am able to supply my children with pencils, pens, markers, erasers, notebooks, highlighters, colored pencils, and crayons just by looking at what we have at home. Test the markers and make sure that they still work. Anything that we do not have that is on their supply list, we buy during the back to school sales.

It's ok to re-use last years backpack!

School clothes- often times we delay the purchase of school clothes because the children return to school during summer temperatures. If we buy school clothes for fall too early- the grow out of them before they have really had the chance to wear them. So we wait until October/November to start buying new clothes. We then spread out our purchases through Christmas and Easter. And hit the sales at different times of the year instead of making one huge purchase at the beginning of school.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

Photobucket

My Soldier Girl!

too cute.

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 9:09am

Partly because I used to run my own business, we have a big plastic file cabinet that we use for school/office supplies. I shop the 1c sales throughout the summer at Staples, Office Max, and Office Depot, and end up with a ton of everything -- plenty for now, plenty for later, and plenty to donate, for literally pennies.

~Didi

Wife to Ron, Mommy to Will

baby

I have a blog!

~Didi

Wife to Ron, Mommy to Will

baby

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 1:52pm

hmmmm....lets see...first if you need any school supplies-dollar stores!! i went shopping there for lil party favors and found a huge pack of pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, colored pencils, etc. all for a dollar apiece.
we bought my oldest a backpack last year, but my youngest used her sisters hand-me-down one(plus we have another one thats in good shape that she could have used too). this year, my oldest wants to buy a twilight one with her bday money-so my youngest will have 3 to choose from.
then-its garage sale season right now-i hit one over the weekend and bought 3 "new" outfits for my youngest. 5 dollars for 3 outfits-cant beat that.
i also just went through their clothes and school supplies

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 3:00pm
I agree with taking stock. I went through our house, having a yard sale next weekend, and found half the stuff on my youngest dd's list for school. Also we bought both girls new luggage this summer, large rolling duffles, and they came with a backpack and messenger bag inside. So they are using those this year, so no new backpacks.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 11:33pm

ok, if you need backpacks watch the sunday fliers right now.

PhotobucketPhotobucket