Is This CHICKEN POX?

iVillage Member
Is This CHICKEN POX?
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 7:06pm

lily started with a fever yesterday mild 100.8 at the highest point... she's clingy and overall not feeling good... i changed her 230 this afternoon she was fine... changed her at 5 and at that point her stomach and back was covered in little spots *going to attach a pic* it's 2 hours later now her legs neck and face have some spots...
dh came home feeling sick he had chicken pox when he was a kid but it was mild and he's known to catch every cold cough and rash the kids have....he has a fever chills headache at this point...
can't i make it a week without SOMEONE getting sick?

pics attached

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 9:57pm

hard to tell from the picts could be pox but they usually start at the base of the back of the neck and behind the ears. could it be roseola? Google rashes there are great photos out there.
Either way I think a trip to the clinic is in order.

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 10:00pm
Chicken pox looks like a rose petal with a dew drop ( then crust over).Lots of viruses can cause spots for example, hand, foot and mouth diseases, looks like chicken pox( blisters)but smaller and while some are on the trunk they
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-09-2009 - 10:15pm

I was thinking roseola also, but that rash looks like little pin pricks. Also, seems like the fever would be higher.

My daughter's chicken pox started as a blister in the center of her hand, and it spread pretty quickly.

Heather

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 12:12am

I vote chicken pox. Did she have a nice cold about a week ago? Either way, I'd be soaking her in oatmeal often, don't rinse, patting to dry, not rubbing. Get some benedryl in her for her itching that she can't tell you about. Check the insides of her mouth, too. Personally, I'd stay away from the doc, unless you want it documented (which you probably do, for school purposes) Some kids blossom all at once with pox all over like that, others do it slowly. some only get them in some place, some get them all over. My dd was 13 when she got them and she started with 1 or 2 marks on her tummy for a few days before she got more, and then, because of her age, I didn't know what they were and took her to the doc who confirmed it. Nothing they can do for you at all, except put it in her notes. I knew some siblings once that the girl got spots ALL over. The baby only got them in his mouth and on his head. The brother only got them on the bottoms of his feet with not a single pock anywhere else on his entire body! It can and does happen. My oldest had them when he was about 2, but mild and got them again when he was about 6 (from those 3 kids!) and got them hard.

Anyway, there is my opinion

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 1:18am

I'd go in tomorrow.

It could be chicken pox, it could be roseola, it could be strep, it could be scarlet fever....lots of things cause a rash and hives.

HUGS. I know you are having a time with it!

Laura

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 8:48am

Rashes are very tricky to diagnose.

signature 
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 9:11am

It looks suspiciously like Chicken pox to me, but hard to tell from the pics.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 11:30am
we've decided to go with watch and see at this point nothing they can do if it is chicken pox... heres a pic from this morning...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 11:32am

i agree with Kay. 5th disease looks like red skin more than anything else. Strep/scarlet fever (same exact disease!!) looks like a fine sand paper rash.

Maybe Chelle could post another pic today?

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 11:39am

Chelle! Too funny, you post a pic as I'm asking for one! I still think it's cp. did she have a cold in the past week or so? that generally preceded it. My kids all spiked a nice fever like Lily did on the day they got spots, and the doc said that's unusual, but seems like it's common, too.

get her soaking in a oatmeal bath (just grind up regular or 1min oatmeal in a coffee grinder or blender or whatever until it's like a powder, then mix it into the bath water as it runs. We used about a cup of oats (measured before grinding) and put that in a normal bathtub. It's ok if it gets in her ears or mouth or whatever, it's just oatmeal. Then don't rinse but pat dry. She'll keep the oatmeal on her skin that way which will help her feel better. She can soak as long or as short as you want or feel comfortable with. I'd throw her in some terry pj's after that.

Is she drinking juice yet? Apple juice and flat sprite are both good if she is. If she isn't, well, you know you can't been momma milk! Your milk might even feel really good on her rash, if you are comfortable spreading that on her.

Pages