Frugal Friday

iVillage Member
Frugal Friday
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 12:25pm

What are some frugal things you've done this week?

Here's my list.........

Avoided turning on the A/C. I haven't had it on since June 28th. So far we've only run it about 1-1/2 weeks this summer. That will probably change as it's supposed to be hotter w/more humidity today or the next couple of days.

Used free solar power to dry all but one load of laundry.

Stuck to my personal challenge for July in order to avoid much spending on groceries, household things, personal care items, etc.

Planned menus for the rest of the month using what is on hand.

Used some free Redbox codes; 11yo ds has been begging to get a movie, lol!

Used the library to get a couple other movies as well as for books.

Helped 18yo ds find some textbooks on amazon and half dot com for a fraction of the cost quoted from the university bookstore. (I'll be tracking his college spending and will report more on that once his semester starts.)

Bought 18yo ds some bath towels on sale.

Used a raincheck for a dorm fridge to get that on sale. Ds is paying for the fridge, but I've been watching for the sales.

Found a pair of jeans for myself on clearance at Target for just $5.74. It's

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 1:46pm

Held out for a book I reaaaaaaaaaally wanted at the library.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 3:04pm

I have gone to the library for the summer reading program (all trips were included in must do errands in that area) the girls have been doing very well and only need to visit to get all their coins for the library summer reading program party in August but I have already figured out when we can make the trips to the library over the next few weeks

I got a few must have items in the clearance dollar part of Target so that was a savings

I have stayed home a lot and left the kids to play outside with toys that have been put away for awhile and just pulled them out I plan on getting more toys out over the next few weeks

I went to the allergen free place and got 6 different regular size packages of allergen free food for free to try out on my oldest dd and got a nice 25% off the rest of the food so that is a frugal victory

Becky

Becky
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 3:59pm

Bought my DH some new clothes at Wal Mart - had jeans for 12, and a 4-pack of boxer-breifs from Hanes for $10.50.

Bought some Starbucks coupons on Ebay for $1.50 each.

Got coupons for frozen Kashi items, so splurged on a bunch of meals on sale - $1 each after discounts.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 10:18pm

I did the grocery shopping this week, instead of my DH. This saved us a bundle because I know how to stay in budget at the store.

After that, I stayed out of the stores for the rest of the week.

I shopped at home for anything I needed or made do with something else.

I cut down on driving this week.

I kept myself busy with activities that didn't cost a dime.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

Photobucket

My Soldier Girl!

too cute.

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 10:38pm
We dressed as cows and ate Breakfast and Dinner for free at Chick-fil-a
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 10:57pm

We avoided using A/C by spending time at Borders, the library, Target, Costco, and museums.