I need to buy new pans for my kitchen

iVillage Member
I need to buy new pans for my kitchen
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 5:10pm

h and I split, he gets the pans from our kitchen (they were his before marriage) so I need new pans. I'm willing to spend a chunk of money to get decent pans, but choked when I saw Pampered Chef pans at over $400. I have 1 nice skillet, but need everything else. anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind spending $200-300 for a nice set. I won't buy super cheap ones, they are impossible to cook with and I'll end up replacing them, so I figure if I spend the money now, I won't replace them for a very long time. I've been using the set he's taking for 12 years, so my pans are a long term investment. I hate struggling with kitchen products, so I try to buy stuff that won't let me down. got any ideas? Either B&M stores or online

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 6:44pm

I like the Calphalon Brand. They are carried at Target, Kohl's, I think Bed Bath and Beyond and I am sure other places.

I have only bought individual pieces for myself, not complete sets but I did buy a set for DD1 for Christmas last year and it they have sets in the price range you are wanting.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 8:04pm

Wolfgang Puck Bistro Elite Essentials 16-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set at HSN.com

This was my first set of "good" cookware. I totally love it. It's not the ultra very bestest on the planet. But, it IS good. I now have 3 different sets of his pots and pans.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 8:16pm

I have had my Revere pans for 16 years, and they are still fine...not the nonstick stuff which I hate. Dh bought me a lodge skillet several years ago, and I love it too so now I have a collection of cast iron skillets and a dutch oven.

How are you all doing? Kids ok?

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 9:50pm
Thanks for asking, Kathy. We all feel like we are spinning off the planet. the boys are taking it all in stride, my dd is a little more off balance. I hate to say it, but I'd reconcile for my kids if I had to. I'd rather ME be super unhappy than for them to struggle with all this.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 9:58pm

Hi Leslie.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 10:06pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this! (((Hugs))) I hope you are doing o.k.

As for pans, I have Revere ware for my saucepans--I got them right out of college in 1991 and still use them every day. My mother got HER Revere ware pans when she got married in 1960 and she still uses hers daily too. So I think they're a pretty good investment! For frying/saute pans I have two Lodge cast iron that are indestructible and one Calphalon that was quite expensive but worth the money. It's my newest pan (um, 11 years old) but also my largest, so it gets used a lot. It has a nonstick surface that's in great shape--I'm generally skeptical of non-stick surfaces but this one is as good as new, so I'm impressed.

I did get a Revere ware frying pan as part of my original set, but I don't like it--I like heavier pans for frying, so it doesn't really get used.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 11:30pm

Sorry to hear about your split.... hang in there

I have the Calphonal (sp?) and really like them, they look just as good as the day I bought them. I have heard if you want to get a good set to go to Costco and get the kirkland brand. Rumor has it they are made my Calphonal (sp?) and work just as well.

Erin
Erin
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 9:38pm

I'll 2nd the Calphalon stuff. The set I have is with the hard anodized exterior, which I like alot. The pans are all non-stick, but we've been religious about using plastic utensils and the pans all still look fabulous. They've never been through the dishwasher (per the instructions) nor do we use cooking spray on them. I like that they have glass lids. I got mine for xmas 2007. Kohl's had a great sale and then I had a 30% off discount so the price was really good. I think they are good quality pans that will last for many years.

Kris

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 10:33pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your split.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 11:58pm

I have the regular Todd English pan set from HSN. I like their website b/c people can and do post reviews on items. I would buy from them again. I have not tried the Green Pans, but they are the big push right now.

HTH!

April

mom to Maggie and Andrew

Pages