Questions about pop-up campers

iVillage Member
Questions about pop-up campers
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 5:44pm

The discussion about pop-up campers made me think this might be a good place to ask this question.

We recently went camping for the first time (since either DH or I were little) with my Dad.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 6:11pm
I have a pop up camper.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 6:14pm

Yes they are more easily towed.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 12:02am

*** brandi can you PLEASE emial that site thought my profile- I have been looking for a good forum and can't find one.

TIA-

Gosh- I can't even remember the name of the person that ask this question SORRY it has been a LONG hot day cleaning our new pop-up.

What you are talking about is just the reason we bought ours. I would LOVE to have a 31 Jayco TT with bunks- it is my dream, but we are no where near about to afford the 20k that it is. When we looked at new pop-ups they were 6-12 k again not something we could afford.

Erin
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 12:21am
I'm showing that emailing you through your profile isn't enabled but if you put some w's and dot in front of popupportal and follow it with a dot and a com it'll get ya there.

Photobucket

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 10:01am

We have a fridge but I can't firgure out how to get it to work.

Are you having trouble getting it to work on electricity? If it's a 2- or 3-way fridge, meaning it can work off of electric, battery or propane, then there will be a switch somewhere to pick the appropriate power source. It could be that that switch is set to something else besides electricity.

On our old pop-up, there was a metal vented door thing on the outside corresponding to where the fridge was. Inside of that, there was a knob that you switched to either gas, DC (battery power) or AC (electricity). They do take awhile to cool down, especially when it's very hot outside.

If that's not the problem, I'd call the people you bought it from and ask if it was working before they sold it. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 10:22am

As for trying them out, look for a place that rents them. A friend of mine just did that for their vacation--drove from MO to SD and rented a pop-up to camp with.

As for some of your other questions........

Is it true that they are more easily towed (like with our current station wagon)?

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 10:28am

Brandi I just wrote to my DH- "God Bless the women that gave us this site" Thank you Thank you..... it was just what we were looking for. After all the google searching we did it never came up.

Erin
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 5:15pm

Winterizing a trailer/ pop up/ rv doesn't really cost anything. You just drain any water lines by opening the faucets and empty the holding tanks and hot water tanks. No real money involved. If you were exceedingly cautious, you would put a bottle of winterizer in the water tank and that's about $7.00. You also try and plug any spots where mice can get in with steel wool. And maybe cover it with a tarp. That's all.

I have an rv and we love it. Our friends have a tent trailer and the wife hates it because her husband won't run the generator to power the heater at night when camping in the wild. It's probably not a problem if you are back east and have humidity and therefore warmth at night. Here in California in the desert, it gets cold at night...into the 40s all year round so having heat is really nice, and for some people a necessity. But if you were camping at a campground, you could probably just plug into electric power and there would be no issue with noise and you could still be warm at night.

Honestly, I love camping so much I'd have a pop up trailer if it's what I could have. I just love it. I love being out with family and friends. Look around. Take your time. See if you can rent something. There are lots of options that are really great for under $3k and more if you are really willing to wait and look.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-21-2009 - 9:54am

My parents had a popup growing up.

pregnancy week by week