Walmart Supercenter VS. Grocery store

iVillage Member
Walmart Supercenter VS. Grocery store
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 10:28am
The other day I got a Walmart flyer in the mail.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 11:11am

The closest WM Supercenter by us is one county away. We're in Milwaukee county and the Super WM is in Waukesha county. It's in

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 1:23pm

The reason WM can offer the same items at lower prices is because of how large they are and how much they are able to purchase. Obviously, somewhere like WM is going to purchase far more boxes of cereal than a small, hometown grocery store is going to purchase. Because of that, WM will be able to offer the cereal at a lower price and still make a profit on it.

They get their food from the same places as all grocery stores - it isn't like it comes from some "bad" place and that is why it is less expensive. It's all about quanity. Buy more, save more.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 1:27pm

I think 90% of the items are cheaper at Walmart than the grocery store in my area. Often it's cheaper at Walmart than when it's on sale at the grocery store.

I'm not sure how Walmart can afford to do that. Maybe it's not where they buy it from but their costs in other areas of operation?

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 1:48pm
There is actually one Walmart Supercenter in Milwaukee. They just opened some months back.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 2:57pm
bah I hate shopping at Walmart Supercenter...I always spend more money when I shop there. If I shop the sales at my local grocery store or Kroger, I can get more food for less money. So I watch for sales, and stock up as much as I can.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 6:47pm
You are so right!
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 7:54pm

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-02-2009 - 8:29pm

When my DH retired from the Air Force and we moved here, I did some comparison shopping between Super Walmart and another local grocery store.

Price wise bottom line it was about the same. Some things were cheaper at Walmart other things at the other grocery store but the bottom line was about the same.

But I did not like doing a major shopping trip at Walmart. Because of the layout it took a lot of time. Personal items were on one end of the store so I went over there to get the items I needed there and then had to walk to the other end of the store to do the groceries. I remember it taking so long that I was worried that I would not get home in time to be there when my DD3 got home from school.

So I no longer do big trips there. I go there to pick up a few items my regular grocery store does not carry or if I am there for another reason I may pick up some grocery items. But I will not do my regular shopping there.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-03-2009 - 8:35am

Generally speaking I don't save all that much when I shop the Walmart.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-03-2009 - 10:04am

Walmarts vary from store to store, city to city, state to state.

The one locally, less than 3 minutes from my home, is a SuperCenter but carries only THE most popular selling items, and they carry oodles of that item. Grocery stores--here--carry many of the specialty items, and they carry lots of them.

Fresh meat I won't buy at our Walmart because it's not nearly as fresh, and some of it has coloring and flavor added. Says right on the package. Why does fresh hamburger (NOT in a roll, premixed, etc.!) need coloring and flavoring? So, fresh meats I buy elsewhere.

Around here, Walmart and the grocery stores are pretty comparable. You'll not save a ton unless it's on very processed foods, like breakfast cereal. Fresh veggies and dairy is comparably priced, even on name brands.

But, I find no single grocery store carries all the stuff I use. So, it's an effort to keep food stocked.

I go to no less than 6 grocery stores each week! One store carries the milk, but not the butter. Another carries the butter and a few other items. Another has the organic veggies. And, so on. More than anything, Walmart

Pages