How to help a friend/refuse money? Ideas

iVillage Member
How to help a friend/refuse money? Ideas
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 10:24pm
I am petsitting this week for a neighbor. It was my idea to save her money and not put her dog in a kennel. She has an 8 year old pug who is totally scheduled and no problem at all. She said she was going to insist on paying me so I could at least take the family out to dinner as a thank you. i refused and told her it wasn't necessary. She insisted and said I had to accept the card she had for me or she would take the dog to a kennel. She said she was unable to watch my dogs (who are MUCH more work and I never would expect her to) two weeks ago so I hired a petsitter and she was unable to return the favor so she was paying me. To avoid an arguement, I accepted the card. I opened it when I got home and saw she gave me $100! That is waaaay too much. Friends shouldn't have to pay friends to help out (I have watched another neighbor's dog for 2 weeks and didn't take a cent). I enjoy doing it. So, how can I get some or all of that money back to my friend without her being mad? We are pretty close and talk or text each other daily. I was thinking about getting her a gc to the grocery store. Ideas? WWYD?
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 10:33pm

I would accept it graciously.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 8:32am
take her out to dinner and treat her with it? Explain that you are honored to have her as company and it is your treat :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 2:21pm
hello!! i woud get her a gift card to a grocery store like you said. but dont do it for the whole amount...get maybe a 50-75 dollar one. wait a week or 2 and send it anonymously. either through the mail or drop it off in her mailbox. sign it from a friend. that way you can deny it if you want. that way you can give her what you want to give her without actually returning the money or physically handing her the gift card. take care!!
JOANNE
maman2goons@yahoo.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 2:50pm

Even though you feel it was too much, she obviously doesn't.

How about donating the money to an animal charity? Both you and your neighbor obviously love dogs. That way she can feel like she adequately thanked you for taking care of her baby, and you can feel good about passing the gift on to someone else who could really use it right now.

Just an idea from someone who would gladly pay $100 for someone to take such good care of my kitty, in my home, for a week.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 4:43pm

I think it would be insulting to return any portion of the money to her.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 11:34pm
Thanks for all of the ideas. I love all of your suggestions. I never thought giving the money back would be an insult so I am glad you mentioned it. I was more on the lines of, "Hey, we are friends. You don't have to pay me, silly. Now take this money." I would never want to hurt her feelings. I also feel funny accepting money from her. I think I will make a donation to the shelter in her dog's name.
Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 1:54pm
You've gotten some wonderful suggestions so far.