Interesting Walmart article

iVillage Member
Interesting Walmart article
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 7:19am
Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 11:18am
Nope. They are still as dirty, cluttered, crowded, and unpleasant to shop in as always :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 1:54pm

The Wal-mart by my work recently became a Super Walmart. I guess that was Project Impact. It is much nicer than before and nicer than the super walmarts that i've been to before. I do see the nicer displays, more open floor plan. I enjoy shopping there because I can get a majority of my shopping done in one stop. Lots of the GV products are kosher, which is a big plus for me! I noticed that they have a "Money Center" there which I think is Walmart's expansion into banking/financial services?

However, I was disappointed that a few weeks after construction was complete, I noticed they raised prices on a few items that I buy regularly, while at the regular walmart they are still the same price. Also, I still have not had anyone ask me if I needed help, nor could I find anyone when I needed to get something off of a high shelf.

The walmart nearer to my house has started construction, I assume for the same type of project. I hope they don't raise prices too. It is in a less affluent area and very close to a Target, so maybe not?

The walmarts that I regularly shop at, here and back in my hometown, have always been pretty clean and bright. Even the one that is about 15 years old and not in the nicest neighborhood.

What I would really like to see is more Neighborhood Markets. This is just the grocery store part; I used to shop there in my hometown, I could get just about anything I needed there and rarely needed to go to the regular walmart.

Beckie

mom of 5 cuties

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 3:55pm

I absolutely hate Walmart for many reasons and the environment is one of them. I recently visited a friend while she was at work at a new store and they don't look much better. They have brighter florescent lighting and pergo floors now. That cosmetic change won't fix the place. They've also eliminated the music, so you can hear everything in there. It's kind of creepy. It may just be me but I enjoy background music.

This business model of destroying all competition is distasteful and greedy. I personally value selection over price. As far as selection goes, Walmart is horrible.

Well, I am going to stop there before my rant goes further. Regardless of change, they still won't get my money.

KC

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 3:59pm

I live in a small town with a Super Walmart. I went last week to buy some fabric for a project. The lady at the fabric counter (she's in her EIGHTIES!!! I love her, she's sweet and helpful), told me that starting at the end of the year, the WalMart will be remodeled.

They are removing the fabric, sewing, and crafts section, and merging the school supplies area with scrapbooking. Scrapbooking is the only "crafting or art" they are keeping. I don't scrapbook (no offense, and I don't understand the appeal either, again, no offense), but it seems like in my rural area, there are many more people who sew than scrapbook.

I was so upset. The nearest Hobby Lobby is in the next town over, and many times, the only day I have time to do any sewing or crafting is on Sunday, and HL is closed.

That nice lady seemed rather upset about the changes. As was I. I mean, for me not to be able to buy a BUTTON from a "Super WalMart" is just stupid, to me.

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 4:27pm

I'm glad you mentioned about the fabric dept. This was eliminated at the super walmart I go to that was just remodeled. I didn't realize it was happening elsewhere. That is upsetting. Walmart is the only place that I buy fabric.

Beckie

mom of 5 cuties

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 4:32pm

Yes it is upsetting. I've only lived here for 4 years, but I'm an artist, and have recently gotten into sewing. There are times when I need an art supply at midnight, and a quick trip to WalMart usually does the trick.

That nice lady has been working in the fabric department as long as I've lived here, and has probably worked there a VERY long time. When she was telling me about it, I swear I thought she was about to cry. It upset me too.

Like I said, I live in a very rural area in the South. Also, my town has a lot of older women who love to sew (and make beautiful things), and I wonder how they feel about it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 4:40pm

I am actually surprised to hear that your WM still had fabric. All of the ones around here stopped selling fabric 2-3 years ago (right before I started boycotting the store). It made me so angry too. They chased JoAnn's out of our city, and then discontinued fabric and notions. ugh!

On another topic, what type of art do you primarily make? I actually work at a studio and do free-lance, and primarily work in oils and occasionally do additive sculpture/found object. I'm also a photographer.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 5:53pm

I definately have a love/hate relationship with Wal Mart.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 8:37pm

I love Wal-Mart.

~Mary~

Visit our homeschooling blog:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 9:49pm
Yes, ours was remodeled last year. They put in a bigger pharmacy, and removed a lot of the arts & crafts section..mostly all of it actually, though they do have a small section and they do still sell fabric. They expanded the electronics section and the food section (ours is not a SuperWalmart), moved the camping/sports section. Unfortunately, some of the stuff is just not planned out well, and seems disjointed..like the home section has a very odd layout and I still have problems finding some stuff. I did notice some prices went up, but I don't know if that is due to the remodel or not, and the selection availability kinda sucks on some items (like paper goods).

Photobucket
~Liz

Pages