Just wanted to say hi...

iVillage Member
Just wanted to say hi...
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 6:19pm

Ive been lurking for a bit...I wanted to jump in and thought I would start with a hello.

Nice to meet all of you.

Im Melody. I am married and living in sunny and expensive southern california for 6 more years until my son turns 18 (dont have the heart to take him from his dad). Then we are off to Texas. In the mean time we are going to save as much as we can whenever we can to build a little moving nest egg.

Ive cut our fixed costs in every way we can. We moved, got rid of my car loan and bought an old van. Its a gas guzzler, but work is only 2 miles away and thats about as far as it has to take me.

My hobbies are reading, sewing, crochet and yoga. I just had a baby and got all the baby stuff at garage sales and hand me downs. I made out like a bandit and had to actually sell some stuff on craigslist to avoid clutter.

I work at an office where I can bring the baby when he cant be home with daddy. I feel very lucky about this. Right now DH is using his GI Bill while going to school and he is looking into finding a night job. If he does this I might stay home and Ill be looking for something to make extra money at home. Both for cash and for sanity. :)

We have cut out all the extras so I am really looking for ways to cook things that taste good at home. Im not a bad cook...but restaurants still have me bested and that just seems really sad to me. LOL I always keep an eye open for cookbooks while garage saling.

Im excited about all of the tips Ill find here...thanks in advance!

Love and Laughs

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Love and Laughs

reading.jpg picture by melodybinoc

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 7:31am
Welcome to the board! Sounds like you have a good handle on cutting costs. Cute baby!
Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 8:09am

Welcome to the board! So glad that you have joined us! Congratulations on your beautiful baby too.

It sounds like you are on the right track to saving money. There are some good recipes in the thrifty cookbook section here too.

I have tried some copycat recipes for some of my favorite restaurants-not exactly the same but pretty good...and I love trying out new recipes at Taste of Home http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes

Welcome!
Kathy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 8:44am

I do all my cooking from scratch. We eat out as a family twice a year and as a couple twice a year. So a total of four times per year.

One book series I love is Surrey's 1001 recipe series. 1001 delicious soups and stews.

You may also want to explore taking a cooking class as your local community center. They tend to be low cost, and the savings over time when you have a good understanding of how to prepare food is well worth it.

Welcome to the board.
stacy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 1:30pm

Thank you all for the welcomes, the baby compliments and the recipe suggestions.

I would LOVE to take a cooking class. I will look into our community center. Good idea! I hope to get to where I eat out that infrequently. Thats how DH has always lived. Im the spoiled one. Just too used to splurging so much that it feels like its a necessity. Ya know?

Love and Laughs

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Love and Laughs

reading.jpg picture by melodybinoc

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 3:34pm

Welcome to the board.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 8:22pm

Congratulations on the Baby!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 10:24pm

Moving out of Cali will help a lot. We knocked $1000 out of our budget just moving form Miami to New Mexico. Try using the crockpot for some of your meals too : )

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 10:20am

Welcome to the board and congrats on your new baby!

Eating out is one of my weaknesses too.

Photobucket