hair removal

iVillage Member
hair removal
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 4:02pm

i just realized today how frugal my hair removal method is and i wanted to share it in case anyone here wants to try it.

basically it's a type of wax you can make by yourself. it's not like the wax that you spread on, and rip off with a strip. it is a wax that you make into a ball and spread and rip off with your hand. you use the ball over and over until you are done with it and then throw it away.

what you need is:
lemon juice (from actual lemon)
sugar
water

so what you do is put two table spoons of each ingrediant into a small pot.

you put it on low heat and wait until it starts to make a white foam (about 10 min.)

when it gets foamy you stir continuously until the foam turns a honey color.

then dump it on a plate and wait for it to cool. if it gets too cool though, it turns into a rock so dont wait too long, but dont burn your fingers either.

then scrape the wax off the plate with a spoon and make it into a ball with your hand.

then spread the ball into a strip onto your skin and then rip backwards and you will see that it will take the hair out.

it might take a few tries to get the wax right since you are following directions and not having the process shown to you. if you screw up and the wax wont become a ball and instead has kind of a tafy texture, go ahead and eat it, lol. (with out any hair in it of course!) i tastes like lemon candy.

i also need to warn anyone with a c-section scar that waxing over the scar is significantly more painful than waxing the general bikini area. i do it anyway but i usually shout profanity after waxing there.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 5:12pm

someone, but I can't remember who, makes a small fortune (probably a really large fortune, actually) selling this stuff in a container! LOL I'm gonna write this one down and give it a shot.

Gotta know, how red does your skin turn? I bought some waxing strips and they turn my face really, really red.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 1:34am

it does turn my skin pinkish for maybe like 30 min. but my sister doesnt turn pink at all so i think it depends on the sensitivity of your skin.

this wax is egyptian. my grandma grew up i egypt and this was the main hair removal method back in the day. she tells me this is how the ancient egyptians took care of unwanted hair but im not sure if she is pulling my leg :-p

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 12:29am
I may have to actually get around to trying this someday!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 4:50pm
you shave your upper lip?? I worry that doing that will make it worse, more noticable, thicker, all that stuff. Right now, I pluck my upper lip almost every day when I have a few minutes right after I get out of the shower.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 3:19pm

I worry that doing that will make it worse, more noticable, thicker, all that stuff.

-------

These are myths commonly believed.

It isn't the removal of hair that makes it thicker, etc. It's hormones, and as we get older... even just going from teens to 20's or 30's, THAT is what makes facial hair worse.

If we leave facial hair alone, it gets smoothed, like a rock gets smoothed from water. Also, it gets bleached from the sun. So, it seems stubblier if shaven, then allowed to come back. And, because it hasn't had time to get bleached from the sun, it's darker.

So,

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 9:30pm
that is so cool thank you!! im definitely going to try that like tomorrow

laurenaugust.gif picture by wowen<

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 1:51am
Sometimes I do pluck a bit, if I start noticing alot of dark hairs.
Photobucket