does anyone have a water filter?

iVillage Member
does anyone have a water filter?
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 2:24am

so have been nagging DH to stop buying water and just drink tap for like a year now. not only because we will save money, but also because of the environment. we recycle the plastic bottles but even the recycling process causes air pollution.

we buy a 6 liter pack (like 1 1/2 gal.) for 1.26 euros and that only lasts us like 3 days so it really adds up.

anyway, we filled some glass bottles with tap water and put it in the fridge. i drank some and the chemical after taste is pretty bad. it has actually put me off drinking water. i usually drink ALOT of water but yesterday i could only bring myself to drink 3 glasses cuz it is really nasty. they say Athens water is safe to drink but it tastes like a pool!

anyway, i was wondering if anyone here has invested in a water filter and if it took away the nasty chemical taste?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 8:55am
I have a reverse osmosis water filter. It's under the sink. I just got to get the filter and cartrage thing changed again.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 12:02pm

We have used two different types - a Pur filter that attaches to the tap, and a Brita pitcher with charcoal filter.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 1:29pm
We have the Brita filter, and I still think the water tastes horrid. I tried buying a 2 gallon jug of water; I thought that tasted horrid. Instead, I buy the individual bottles of water. I pay roughly $4.00 (don't know how many euros that is) for about 3.75 gallons of water (individually bottled). It's not terribly cheap, but I'm willing to pay it b'cuz I won't drink the other water.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 4:43pm
we tried a pur filter here and the water was still nasty tasting and still left a white residue in the pot when I boiled baby bottles so we buy water

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 11:15pm

We have a water softener for the whole house, but it only softens the water and doesn't filter it. So we have to filter it through our refrigerator filter.

We can't drink the tap water out in our area. It WILL make you sick. My DS ended up in the hospital with an intestinal infection once and we found out he was drinking unfiltered tap water.

We spend about $37 on a filter every 5-6 months. It is worth it.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 10:11am

Excellent point about softener vs. filter.

Even after certain hard minerals (calcium, sulphur), which will build up in and destroy your plumbing if they are concentrated enough,

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:00pm
We have really good tap water, and I never thought we needed a filter until we got our refrigerator.