QOTW...Agree or disagree.....

iVillage Member
QOTW...Agree or disagree.....
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:52am

"And perhaps, despite common wisdom, the small ways to save don't really help us. They can even but hurt us by fooling us into believing we are making genuine financial changes when we're not."

From an article I found, Penny-Pinching Is Fine, But It Won't Save the Profligate

Agree or disagree?

Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 9:22am

Can I agree AND disagree?

We've all heard the expression "penny wise and pound foolish" and I think that's what the author is referring to here.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 3:36pm

I disagree. I think it is the small ways that add up to making a true financial change. I choose to not order a drink when I eat out, I have water. I prefer water, it saves me $1.50 or more off the bill for just me to do this. If I

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 3:56pm

In many ways, I have to agree.

It's not about how much you can get for less. It's getting the things you need for a reasonable price. It's about not wasting your money.

You can just as easily waste money at a garage sale as you do at a

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 3:07pm

disagree.

you dont realize how much the small things add up until you cant afford even the small things.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 8:58pm

I love PP's example about saving on gas :)

I guess in certain situations I agree and disagree. For some people, they may think that clipping coupons equals saving big bucks so they don't make any other changes (like monitoring sales, etc.) However, for me personally, I disagree. I'm not fooling myself. Sure, I recognize the impact that small changes can have (such as saving just $1 per week adds up to $52/year) but realize that saving $1 per week will not make me a millionaire.

Perhaps the small ways to save are a first step - they're not going to result in saving enough for retirement, but they're a starting point.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 8:46am

I agree with the way Sarah summarized it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 8:18am

"And perhaps, despite common wisdom, the small ways to save don't really help us. They can even but hurt us by fooling us into believing we are making genuine financial changes when we're not."

Oh, interesting quote.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 10:13am

Just thought I'd throw it out there for some *food for thought*. Despite whether one agrees or disagrees w/the article, it may trigger someone to take a hard look at their own situation. :-)

OT, but how have you been? Have you been able to sub? How's your dh's job situation? Hope things are going well for your family!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 12:35pm

Thanks for asking, Kelly.

DH is back to work, thank God.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 3:24pm

Yes, dh has been back to work for about a month now. However, not as an outside carpenter. He found a job in a union shop that makes doors, windows, exterior & custom stuff. Their contract is w/the carpenters' union so our insurance and benefits are intact. We think it'll be a good fit for dh and they came looking for him which was nice! He had never even applied, just gone to pick up some custom spindles last summer for a side job and left his phone #. They remembered him and called when they were looking to hire.

I haven't done much subbing since spring break. Just a few jobs here and there. Which is fine because I've had to help out my mom who is having health issues on top of caring for my 102yo granma. Good that I have the flexibility w/my schedule to be on call.

Glad to hear you're doing ok. Hope your hard days are over! :-)

Kelly

Pages