Eating is expensive and Aldis grocery

iVillage Member
Eating is expensive and Aldis grocery
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 6:27pm

I am angry at how expensive it has gotten to eat out or even to stop by somewhere and buy a drink.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 12:36am

Yep, totally agree!! We have 5 kids and we have stopped taking them out very often.

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 8:32am
We used to buy milk at Sams when we lived back home.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 9:18am

I agree on the eating out part but disagree on Aldi :)

We buy cans of Sprite for DH at the store (when they're on sale for $2.50) and use the Coke Rewards to redeem for certificates for free pops. Then I carry the coupons with me, and when we're out and need a drink, they're free. It works well for us.

We bought fresh fruits and veggies at Aldi last week, and they were MUCH fresher than the ones I saw at Walmart this week (but didn't buy, lol). I don't know if it varies based on the week, day of the week, or location - but our Aldi's produce usually looks good. I don't buy canned veggies there; I buy them when they go on sale at the grocery store since they often end up being cheaper. I do buy their Fit & Active fruit though - is that what you bought? If not, you might want to try it. DD and I love it. We also buy hamburger, frozen fish, and so much more there.

You're not going to find *everything* at Aldi. The trick (I think) is to stock up on the things you do like and can find there and then try to buy the other items when they're on sale at other stores. Also, do you have a Save-A-Lot? I buy a lot of stuff there, too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 11:42am
Aldi's by us is ok.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 2:13pm

I agree with eating out, but disagree with Aldi's.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 7:58pm

Well of course eating out is expensive.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:25am

Welcome to the board from another camping family! :-)

Like others, I'll agree on the eating out but totally disagree on Aldi's. I love Aldi's and have been shopping there for years. I probably get about 85-90% of our food from there. In my area, their prices can rarely be beaten. Even other stores *loss leaders* are usually higher than Aldi's prices. I love their produce specials and have never had a problem w/the quality. If I would, Aldi's does have a money-back guarantee and I'd just take it back.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:16am

Aldi just recently opened in my area and at first, I really liked it, but it hasn't even been open 2 months now, and the last time I went in there, the produce did not look good at all. We'd really been enjoying 99 cent strawberries and fresh pineapples, but they'd raised the price on the strawberries and they were all moldy, all the bananas were ready to make banana bread, and I bought a pineapple, but it was turning brown within a day sitting on my counter.

Most of the other things I've bought there have been ok. I don't really drink milk, but no one else has complained. The kids have eaten some of the cereal and the tortilla chips and pretzels were quite good. I do like that the store is small and even with bagging my own stuff I can get in and out quickly. I'll be interested to see how it is as time goes on.

We don't eat out much anymore either. For the occasional fast food, we usually do the $2.99 combos at Wendys. Even my younger ones will get a salad with their nuggets so it's a little healthier too. Real restaurants are maybe once a month if that.