QOTW....Summer plans.....

iVillage Member
QOTW....Summer plans.....
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 10:18am

What are your plans for this summer? Do you have a vacation planned? Will you be taking advantage of anything like summer community events--free or otherwise? Do you spend lots of time at the pool or beach? What types of summer activities do you and your family enjoy?

With dh just starting a new job, we're not taking a family vacation this year. However, we have already been camping several times and have more campouts planned through August. I am going to San Francisco in mid-July to visit 26ds for a few days. While I'm gone, 12ds will be at Boy Scout camp for that entire week & dh will join him for a few days at the end of that week. 13ds will stay home w/19ds.

The boys made a schedule of the free movies. We could go to 3 different free movies each week through the beginning of Aug. if we wanted! Most of the weeks, we'll be going to 1 or 2 of them.

While not exactly cheap anymore since the kids now have to pay the adult price, we'll go to the local aquatic centers a few times. If I'm lucky I'll be able to find some B1G1 coupons for that. All of our camping trips are planned around water, so there will be more swim/beach time. 23dd's apartment complex has a pool and we've gone down there a few times to visit her & swim; more of that will most likely happen. :-)

We also have tickets for 3 St. Louis Cardinals games. (I've already been to 2 w/tickets given to me free.) We got free tickets to one of the games and paid a discounted price for the other 2. A friend has 4 season tickets & is very generous! We always take snacks & drinks in order to avoid the outrageous concession prices. Thank you, Busch Stadium, for allowing fans to bring stuff in!

A trip to 6 Flags may or may not happen. If it does, we have a couple of free tickets from a reading program during the school year. Again, we take food along to help w/the costs.

There is always some free community event going on in this area. I like to attend some of those if we're not camping. It's usually a last minute thing if we decide to go to something.

Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 10:38am

Well with me being laid off for the summer, and possibly longer we have been planning things to do with Johnathon for the summer that are already paid for by us or are low cost or free.

So far we have planned:

-Zoo-bought passes for year, (already have paid for themself about 4 times over)

-Splash Park- free with YMCA Membership

-Metroparks for bike riding and fishing

-Funtastic and Bounce A-Lot for very warm days. ($8 dollars for Funtastic and $6 for Bounce A-Lot, so very cheap entertaining places for him to play)

I am thinking of signing Johnathon up for the free bowling for rainy days and overly hot ones..

I am also going to be buying some arts and crafts supplies from Dollar Tree, Michaels and the Christmas Tree Shop for us to do over the summer as well. In fact my goal is to organize the craft area for Johnathon tonight, so that I know what I have to get.

CafeMom Tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 11:02am

Already took our vacation. Visited my family in Michigan Memorial weekend.

Summer to DH and I means baseball. We usually go to at least one game per home stand of the local AAA team. (My boss is a sponsor so we get free tickets).

We usually go to an Astos game but may not get a chance this season.

DH's mother is not in good health. She is in the last stage of alzheimers and broke her hip in March so we try to go visit her at least on weekend a month.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 2:27pm

we are planning on going camping this weekend found a nice campground that is close by and cheap ($15 for tent camping over nite)

I would like to go on

Becky
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 6:06pm

Well, DS attended WinShape C3 camp last week - that was the most expensive part of this summer, but absolutely worth every penny.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 9:58pm

I am working summer camp at our school several days each week.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 5:24am
No plans this summer. Can't afford to do much of anything. I did want to take a weekend trip somewhere. Can't even afford that. So we stay home. Maybe we'll find some cheap or free things to do around town.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 10:30pm

Spending a little bit of money this summer on a variety of

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 7:01am
We are members at the town pool and the lake so we will alternate between those two. Those eat up our summer fund so we will try and do a few day trips (zoo, aquarium, beach). Want to take advantage of free movies and free museums. Both of the older girls are taking swimming lessons which to me are worth it and. Big dd is also doing a week long cheerleading camp.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 12:44pm

We took a quick trip to MIL's house in Northern California. It wasn't really a vacation, but we managed a day of panning for gold at Sutter's Mill and played in the pool each day.

We've done a week of VBS, spent a lot of time in friends' pools, have been going each week to the kids Summer Movie series (10 movies for 7 dollars, we take our $1 drink refill cups and have a t-shirt for free popcorn), and have basically been trying to stay out of the heat (we're in Phoenix... the zoo or any non-water outdoor activities are out of the question when its 110).

We go back July 28, so it's a short summer for us! I wish we could drive to San Diego for a couple of days to cool off and hit the beach, but right now it's not in the budget.

Laura

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Laura

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 7:55am

We are trying to stay close to home this summer, but even that is adding up...

Ds has a week of boy scout camp and swimming lessons.

We are going to spend a week driving the Blue Ridge Parkway- all 469 miles. I will take our food, and we will camp along the way so it shouldn't be too expensive. It is the 75th anniversary of the Parkway, and I have never driven the whole road so it should be fun.

Pages