One challenge a week

iVillage Member
One challenge a week
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 8:22am

Hi All! It's been a long time since I've been here, but I need to get back into the frugal mindset. ESPECIALLY now that we've had to tackle some home projects that of course end up turning into more money than originally planned. Especially when our house was built in 95 during the height of the "throw 'em up quickly and who cares if they are built correctly" phase... then declare bankrupcy so I don't even get to go down to their offices and scream and yell at anyone... but I digress :)

SO! We have to get as close to bare bones as we can get at least until the end of the year. DH and I decided we'd try to make this a bit fun by issuing ourselves a challenge each week. (Our attention spans just can't handle a month, we end up screwing up and giving up).

I'm hoping you can help me out with some weekly ideas. We came up with: grocery exile, hanging our clothes dry, no misc. spending, me working a few extra hours.

I know that you all will have more ideas for me.

Thanks!!

Jill

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Jill

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 9:53am

Hi Jill! I think it's great that you and your DH are on board with the challenges. It makes it so much funner.

One of my favorite blogs was one called Cindy's Porch. Her Motto was "Shop at home first" This has become one of my favorite challenges myself.

When ever you need something- shop at home first. Or look for alternates. This

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 10:41am

oh sounds fun Jill! I would like to join you...

How about a week to buy nothing new except for food and basic necessities?

a week of free activities with the kids? park, playground etc?

Have fun!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 12:26pm

Re-shop your insurance. Get quotes on car & home insurance from different companies. Look at your car insurance--can you drop comp & collision? That all depends on the age/condition of your vehicles and your own personal

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 1:57pm

Great idea Jill!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 5:15pm

I like that shop at home idea! I KNOW we don't always do that.

Jill

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 5:17pm
Kathy- i'd love to have company :) I'll post our first challenge this weekend. I'm guessing it will be a grocery excile since when I came home from the store last time I was running out of space in the pantry. whoops.

Jill

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Jill

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 5:19pm

You know, we have never checked on our car/home insurance. That's awful of us. I'm going to gather the stuff to do that this week.

We have discussed going without Direct TV, but when I called them about it, found out we signed a 2-yr contract (to get a better rate). So I think we're stuck with them for awhile. We do only have pay as you go phones which we try not to use that much. I must try harder though :)

I'll get our budget posted too I'm sure there are places we can cut.

thanks!

Jill

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Jill

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 5:21pm

unplugging is a good idea! do you know which ones are safe to unplug? are there ones that need to stay plugged in?

Jill